Sunday, January 29, 2017

Blowing Bubbles

Do I just scrap all of the research I've done for quite awhile?  Or do I share?  Does anyone really care?  It's something for myself and realizing what you need to do, with the WOW, is something for you.  Except for the basic premise, the odds are, we will do different things and both will be right.  The WOW is a part of our religion and we are expected to live it and it tells us even the weakest of the weak can do that!  that is me!

So no soap box here.  Summarizing...exercise and healthy eating...that is what I'm going to do.  I did the 6 month exercise with no clear or real emphasis/focus on the food.  Now I'm doing the combo. The 5-day biking was so much easier this past week with no deadline hitting me in the face.  I'm much more relaxed and just doing it and it makes it easier and satisfying.  I want to do it.  Same with the eating...I figured out what I want to do and I'm enjoying it.

I toyed with the idea...aim at 6 months?...3 months?...one year? Then it hit me...health is for life so this will just be the way I will live.  Exercise and healthy eating on a regular basis.  For life!  Not only for the rest of my life but also to give my daily living some life!  I'm on or in or whatever!

In reading all sorts of data, in Church/out of Church, I kept writing things but not posting.  I'm going to share this one as it gave me the understanding that I was on the right path....maybe, just maybe, you will enjoy it as much as I did and still do!

(and now I'm questioning...am I soapboxing???  so be it!)

*******************************

 In April General Conference- 1996, I remembered a talk that Elder Boyd K. Packer gave and how impressed I was about two stories- one about crocodile warnings and one about staying in a safe area when making choices.  I've used both of those great stories over the years in lessons.  In my quest for figuring out how to live the Word of Wisdom in my own life, I re-read that talk   (Elder packer...here)

This paragraph really impacted me.  It had never really registered before!! Especially the part I underlined.

The Word of Wisdom was “given for a principle with promise” (D&C 89:3). That word principle in the revelation is a very important one. A principle is an enduring truth, a law, a rule you can adopt to guide you in making decisions. Generally principles are not spelled out in detail. That leaves you free to find your way with an enduring truth, a principle, as your anchor.

(and he also said....

The Word of Wisdom does not promise you perfect health, but it teaches how to keep the body you were born with in the best condition and your mind alert to delicate spiritual promptings.


**********************
President Monson spoke about the WOW in General Conference 2016 along the same lines as Elder Packer in 1996.  That is 20 years later and both of them have not changed their counsel, nor have any of the other authorities since the commandment was given...1833. 183 years ago!

President Monson talk here  2016 CR
He mentioned exactly what I want in my life.  A Living Prophet said.... Those who are obedient to the Lord’s commandments and who faithfully observe the Word of Wisdom are promised particular blessings, among which are good health and added physical stamina.1
**********************

The commandment has stayed the same but society has changed.  At first people, in and out of Church, didn't feel cigarettes/coffee etc. were really harmful.  People, in and out of the Church, came around to the fact that they were harmful.  Nowadays people both in and out of the Church, with all of the allergies/food intolerance/carb counting etc. etc., question the wisdom of grains.  Grains are right there in food listed in the WOW.

It doesn't make sense to eat something that causes you harm physically.  My husband best not eat Hazelnuts or his throat might close.  Maybe grain does cause problems to some but I have no problem with it.

I've heard people say the WOW needs to be updated and grain removed and also all meat.

Getting back again to what Elder Packer said....

The Word of Wisdom was “given for a principle with promise” (D&C 89:3). That word principle in the revelation is a very important one. A principle is an enduring truth, a law, a rule you can adopt to guide you in making decisionsGenerally principles are not spelled out in detail. That leaves you free to find your way with an enduring truth, a principle, as your anchor.

You and I are free to take the general basic outline of the WOW and tailor it to work for us.  What works for one, most likely will not work for someone else.  In our world of abundance we have as many lo here and lo there voices about the care and keeping of human bodies, as past and current pulls towards religion.  Everyone seems to be promoting, for their personal gain, be it exercise equipment or a specific weight loss program that costs you $$, telling you what will work for you!!

I am tailoring something for myself.  The 89th Section- the WOW is not a one size fits all program in detail.  It's a basic guideline and I will figure out how to make it work with the restrictions and the acceptable things to eat and all the while avoid the advertising as mentioned in the last days would come about.  If I want to run and not be weary and walk and not faint, the promises of living the WOW, then it does make sense that I get up off the chair and move!  So exercise and healthy eating...my plan!

*********************************
Okay.  I'm thinking that is all I'm going to say and just let it rest.  You know I'm frequently changing my mind but as I've been saying...this is not going to morph into some sort of health blog or a monitoring of my weight/health/exercise/eating etc. etc.  (boring. yawn) 

You all are doing the same thing in figuring out what to do for yourself and really, I wish you the best, just like I know you do me!!  IF this actually creates results planned and wanted!?...well, that ups the ante and I might start talking it up but most likely I'll just do it and see what happens!

If I'm honest, and I'm trying to be honest!, then I was on my soapbox!!


I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles (sheet music cover).jpeg
on my soapbox.  again!!

No comments: