Thursday, January 5, 2017

Winter continues!

This cold snap and snow and ice really brings back so many memories.  Today I was thinking of the darkness of Alaska.  My first four children for their entire school years went to school in the dark and came home in the dark.  My sister and I had the same experience!  Our youngest had the same experience until his sophomore year, when we moved to Washington. 

We moved here just before school started.  One evening a new friend invited him to go play tennis.  I said...don't stay out to late.  In what seemed to be, no time at all, he came home.  I said...What happened?  Is everything okay?  He said...Mom, it gets dark here in the evening! 

It was very different to me.  I was used to daylight all the time or dark all the time!  True, it wasn't that black and white, it was a very quick fade!  It was very pronounced and tourists and new residents have a great deal of difficulty adjusting.  I found it as strange here as they did in Alaska!

These pictures were Winter Solstice a few weeks ago.  A friend in Palmer took the 3pm sunset picture..

What a beautiful world we live in!!  Loving it!

Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature
Dec 19, 2016 Palmer Alaska  3pm sunset!


   a bit about Winter Solstice

Image may contain: text
December 21, 2016
***************

Nothing smells better on a cold winter day than fresh baked bread!



******
We live in a place that has 4 very distinct seasons and I enjoy every single one.  It won't be long and spring will be here!  A reminder that this icy snowy cold will end....unopened daffodils!

the hope of spring!



No comments: