Sunday, January 22, 2017

Choices....

It seems that we are never going to have this political division/upheaval settle down.  I've kept quiet about my opinion and who you should vote for and who I'm going to vote for etc. etc.  I've kept quiet about the news broadcasts that evidently think that I can not hear someone speak and understand what was said...they have to not only tell me what I just heard, repeat what was said, and then tell me what the speaker meant!!  the gall!!  I've kept quiet about a lot of things.  I've even kept quiet about the Woman's March for all women and yet they wouldn't let those against abortion march with them--even though they supported all of their other grievances.  I didn't even mention the vulgarity of their signs and some hats, the screaming and protesting voices, or even the litter mess they left behind for others to clean up.  I've kept quiet about a lot of things and really it's not my nature to be quiet.  You know that I seem to have no filter in speaking my mind and to hush and be quiet about things I feel passionate about.

With all of these goings on and so much quiet non-action reaction on my part...I sure did think of a lot of snarky comments and sarcasm that was point on in trying to put someone down.

I see many of our citizens, like a bunch of snarling warring cats surfacing and spewing anger and at times riotous behavior but I've still kept quiet.

Today I made a decision.  I decided I need to choose how I will respond and what I will even think about, as far as responses go.

I'm going to use my voice for the Gospel.  I'm going to speak peace and not get in word brawls.  I'm going to remind myself that these are the Last Days and I need to be an example of the peace the Gospel can bring into our individual lives, in the midst of such confusion and strife.  I want to be a beacon of hope and firm in my testimony of the reality of the Gospel and the reality of the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I want to shine brighter, in the midst of the ever darkening situations around me, as wars and violence and nastiness and no worldly standards spreads like filthy sludge.

I have long loved the Counsel from President Kimball in 1979 and also what Sister Beck, General RSP, and also what Sister Naudald, YW General President in 2000.  I've printed these before but they are so worth repeating and rereading.  Here are snippets of each of these talks.  I took them from some past blog posts and they are all doctored up with colors etc.


***********************************

In September 1979, the second Women's Fireside was held and broadcast to 1500 locations.  President Kimball was ill and in the LDS Hospital.  His wife, Sister Camilla E. Kimball, read his address.  He made a request, I'd never thought of or heard of, but it just went right straight to my heart and has stayed there for 32 years!  


From "The Role of Righteous Women"   (emphasis added) 

.....much to be done by way of parallel personal development—for both men and women. In this connection, I stress again the deep need each woman has to study the scriptures. We want our homes to be blessed with sister scriptorians—whether you are single or married, young or old, widowed or living in a family.....
Regardless of your particular circumstances, as you become more and more familiar with the truths of the scriptures, you will be more and more effective in keeping the second great commandment, to love your neighbor as yourself. Become scholars of the scriptures—not to put others down, but to lift them up!....

Finally, my dear sisters, may I suggest to you something that has not been said before or at least in quite this way. Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world (in whom there is often such an inner sense of spirituality) will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different—in happy ways—from the women of the world....Among the real heroines in the world who will come into the Church are women who are more concerned with being righteous than with being selfish. These real heroines have true humility, which places a higher value on integrity than on visibility....Thus it will be that female exemplars of the Church will be a significant force in both the numerical and the spiritual growth of the Church in the last days.


*****************************************
Definition of Articulate:  adj. 1. spoken clearly, in words
                                                             2.  able to express ideas clearly
                                                           
                                                      v.  1. to say distinctly

*************************

Relief Society:A Call to Minister
by Julie Beck-

Sister Beck asked the women to become articulate in sharing their testimonies by studying the scriptures. She encouraged them to develop their talents to be used to build up the Lord’s kingdom. She urged them to seek revelation by asking questions and to share what they know. She challenged them to get over the excuses they have allowed to keep them from doing the Lord’s work.



*****************************

Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity.

The Joy of Womanhood  2000 General Conference by Margaret Nadauld

*******************************
Hopefully, eventually, I am going to reflect the peace and hope and joy of the Gospel and when the women of the world are seeking for some relief...I want to help them.  My dream--My testimony will be strong and I'll be able to articulate doctrine in such a way that they will want that peace in their life also.

Not going to muzzle myself but not going to word fight in the world.  I'll keep on keeping on!

Yes.  Today I made a choice.  And it feels just wonderful for me.  It's a good fit.

A two-toned purple background graphic with a quote by Sister Margaret D. Nadauld over the top: “We need women who are tender.”





No comments: