Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A milepost

 finally my blog is up and running again.  Techie stuff drives me bonkers and I'm a non-tech!

Weather here is still icy and the snow is covered with a gorgeous satin sheen.  I took a picture but it probably won't show much.  The reflection is just glowing. 
Not a prize winner but my best effort!

It continues to be nice for us because we don't have school kiddos or jobs or appointments or need food etc. etc.  We have running water and heat and lights and we are still set!

**********

We finished the Book of Mormon this morning.  We thoroughly enjoyed every word!  It was the most wonderful experience to share someone reading to us and we followed along on the computer screen.  We usually averaged 3 chapters a day (I think).  We read enough that the entire scenario unfolded and we weren't feeling like we were reading isolated events.  It really all tied together.  It became so real and we just admired so many of the leaders and their testimonies.  We were both strengthened spiritually.  It was fun to talk about what we'd just heard.  In light of the chaos and evil that abounds throughout the world...there were recorded events that sounded like today!! 

I always remember the first year I taught the Book of Mormon and the CES Supervisor teaching ...the happenings in the Book of Mormon parallel the Last Days.  Not that it will follow exactly but those things will happen.  I remember reading and finding it unimaginable to think of cities falling into the sea or cities being buried by landslides etc.  all of the things of nature.  Then there came a time that I realized...that is happening right now. 

So I could see that parallel of weather destruction but not the wickedness that was prevalent once the devils plan was found and put into practice.  The killings...the beheadings...the wickedness of evil leaders...and on and on.  Today when we read Chapter 9 of Moroni I was sickened.  And then I thought of similar evils that come across, unasked for, on computer news feeds, of the evil doings of evil people.  The treatment of women and children and I can't believe I can say it, but the evil deeds mentioned in the Book of Mormon are in the world today.  heartbreaking.  Last Days.  Not just bad things but evil!

The flip side is the wonderful amazing hope of the Gospel.  The assurance and promise of God's love.  The necessity of constant steady repentance and being baptized by one with Priesthood Authority and receiving the Holy Ghost.  The Lord throughout the Book of Mormon is so kind and merciful in His pleadings to repent and come unto Me. 

That 9th Chapter was so tough to hear.  And then the marvelous 10th Chapter with such promises.

Those men, the righteous ones, were just like our Apostles today, in their unwavering faith and continual invitations to come to Christ and live the gospel.  It started with faithful Lehi and ended with faithful Moroni and the words of his faithful Father Mormon. 

I was also impressed with Moroni, the last man, thinking he would be already be dead and finding himself still alive...decided (surely he was prompted) to share some letters that his father, Mormon, had written him.  I loved that he had saved those letters and they were important to him.  A good plug for letter writing and journal keeping!  Those Chapters are so amazing with what was taught. 

Also his chastisement to the members and then detailed teaching about the practice of baptizing children.  That is all so revelatory in light of how even in the world of today, there are Churches that still do that.

I could go on and on but I just want you to know that I loved the reading with my Hubby and we will start over.  I also want you to know that I have a deep conviction of the Gospel and the Book of Mormon is right there at the heart of it!!

My study of the topic grace was strengthened by this reading.

Treat yourself to having it read to you.  LDS.org...what a repository of all things that we love and believe.



No comments: