Saturday, January 7, 2017

Prep for weather front....

Sometimes the weather folks miss the mark but so far they are right on target with light snow, which is suppose to build into days and days of snow.  We will see!



I've spent the last two days making sure we are ready to just hole up for a long time.  That involved....filling Rx's...checking basics and filling in the blank spots...covering a couple of curtainless windows...checking water supply...buying a new snow shovel...making sure laundry is all done up and vacuuming...making bread...showering!

my version of chinking the dining room window!

Chinking the back door the Alaskan way!!

I prepare for being landlocked with snow and also for power outages!

The insecurity I have about no firewood could not be settled down even with Terry's new Mr.BigBuddyHeather.  I call it Terry's even though he says it is our Christmas gift!  Last night he decided to try it out.  Remember it is fueled by a small propane.  I was scared witless when he said...I'm going to start it up now but I have to prime it first.  He was pushing on a knob.  I said...Don't blow us up.  He then calmly said...Maybe I should read the directions first.  I left the room and will make no comment as to what I was thinking!!  Mr.Gadget-GizmoLover- did read the Warning booklet and carried his prize to the living room and we did enjoy the maiden voyage of a nice cozy radiant heat source.  Yes.  I said we. 

Happy with his new toy!  Directions in hand!  Yes!

Glow little glowworm!  Is he gloating????
Even with all of that security of heat readiness, I wanted the ability to light a fire...with a match...with wood!  He, wearying of my whinyness, was relieved to send me off after he found Pron-to-logs at Bi-mart!  I bought a trunkload plus two bundles of kindling. 

my trunk!
This morning I was going to take them out of the trunk and I could not pick them up!  Each pack, of 6 logs, weighs 30 pounds!  I can heft 25# of wheat from a shelf but this is bend over & reach down and then pick it up and out.  I could not do it.  Terry felt bad that he can't help but he encouraged me to call the Missionaries and see if they could lift them for us.  Bless their hearts.  They came this afternoon!

their Moms would be proud!!

way to go!!!
I moved one of the empty Christmas totes, that previously had garlands in it, and put it on the front porch...right outside the door.  Hopefully they can carry enough to fill it up and then we will be ready!  I can hardly wait to light a log! 

They filled it up!

now this is feel good picture!!  Makes me so happy!!
*********************************

I checked in with the gals on my VT route, after I'd done my own preparations.  I sort of figured it was the equivalent of oxygen mask on the airplane for survival...take care of your own supply and then help others!  Someone has to take care of us and it needs to be us doing all that we can!   If we need help, I don't want it to be over something we could/should have done for ourselves.  Also trying to live wisdom and order.

I just like being as prepared as possible and now we are.  I'm assuming you are also.  What a blessing the Church is --always counseling us to be ready to shelter in place.  I'm into sheltering...in this place.

No comments: