Friday, January 13, 2017

Thinking

I've been doing a lot of thinking/pondering/contemplating yesterday and today.

When I started my bike-a-thon, I made the decision...5 days a week...40 minutes a ride and was heading towards a year with the half-way point coming up on Tuesday.  What I wanted was greater strength and endurance.  I got exactly what I asked for/planned for.  Then I tried to switch the rules and was mad/disappointed/letdown that magic didn't happen and I also would have shed half my body weight!!  You've heard all my lamenting/whining/sniveling at my PityParty, so you know where I'm coming from.

I accomplished my goal in this endless spin cycle, pedaling away, partly because I had a plan and I knew what I was going to do and what I wanted/expected and I was dead set & fully determined that I would not break my word to myself.

So...I got to thinking about things I've done and enjoyed and completed and met with success in accomplishing what I wanted.  A total feel good situation and enjoying the entire journey...the planning of all the details and thinking and copious notes and poring over details and just breathing in the satisfaction of being on course.  Soaking up the satisfaction and delight and feeling the joy.

I thought of McCall and the details that go into planning that yearly family reunion and the dovetailing of plans and rooms and food and fun and on and on.

I thought of fun things I've done in the Church and the satisfaction and delight in planning details and making things as special and wonderful as possible.  Roadshows and plays and choir and youth conferences and women conferences and standard nights and speaking assignments and the sheer enjoyment on the entire planning process and then executing it and the joy and relishing of the finished project.

I thought of having a fudge shop and how every detail was planned to the nth degree...right down to 1" squares of fudge, individually wrapped in a cellophane bag that was special ordered and tied with a narrow satin ribbon.  Displayed in a gorgeous way.  Everything so beautiful and details right down to music that would be played.  How wonderful it felt and how much my partner and I enjoyed all those details.

I thought of classes that I've loved teaching and the thought that goes into a weekly class and the feeling of love I have and excitement when I see one concept click with even one girl.

I thought of lots of things!

The things I've enjoyed most in my life and achieved success are the things that I really wanted to do and was really happy and excited that I had such an opportunity.  Things that I gave a lot of thought to and even had spiritual guidance at times to accomplish what was needed.  I have never accomplished anything of real value to me without planning.  and planning in such a way that I enjoy it and have confidence that I'm on the right path and this is the right way to go.

Joy in every journey!

So I hop on a bike and expect in my mind that will bring all sorts of things to me?  No plan except 40 minutes/5 days a week?  Really?  I think an inanimate object, the bike, will accomplish superhuman things??

I got to thinking of the many times in the Book of Mormon that they used Stratagem to achieve their goals..


  • Moroni1 thinks it is no sin to defend people by stratagem: Alma 43:30 .
  • Moroni1 encourages Teancum to take cities by stratagem: Alma 52:10 .
  • Moroni1 resolves upon stratagem to obtain Nephite prisoners from Lamanites: Alma 54:3 .
  • Nephites desire to bring stratagem into effect upon Lamanites: Alma 56:30 .
  • Lamanites resolve by stratagem to destroy Nephites: Alma 58:6 .
  • by stratagem Nephites take city of Manti without bloodshed: Alma 58:28

  • They planned for success in their battles.

    So I need to plan a strategy for me on losing weight.  It needs to be specific for me and it doesn't really matter what others do for themselves, or what program etc. others are on.  This has to be a plan that I'm happy about...confident in...willing to commit to...feeling that it will work.  I need joy on this journey!

    I'm going to use my 2 week sabbatical to plan my action and gear up with a  personalized strategy for my battle of being way to heavy.  A stratagem!  Yes!

    *********
    No automatic alt text available.


    No comments: