Friday, October 10, 2014

Exercise of Faith...

I have read Elder Scott's talk here  a lot more than once.  I love the title...

Make the Exercise of Faith Your First Priority

That pretty much sums up what I'm after.  Anyhow it seems to me that way from my viewpoint.

I'm a believer in daily scripture study.  I don't have little ones needing attention or older kiddos needing endless taxiing/errands/meals/physical care and watchfulness.  There is nothing in my life, at this point, that puts anyone at peril if I really dig into the scriptures and don't carefully tend to those that are under my roof.  When I did have those necessary pulls on my time, I still loved, on a pretty regular daily basis, getting into the scriptures and General Conference (GC aka Scriptures.  Not the Standard Works but still Scriptures).  

Now my waking time, beyond keeping our cave bat free, is mostly used up watching out for my sweet Hubby.  Another blood test and that means half a day used up with waiting and waiting and waiting (yawn).  Then home for a rest from doing nothing but waiting!! and then it's time to fix something for dinner  (I was raised calling it supper.  when did I change to dinner?  Then- Breakfast/lunch/supper. Mother calling out the back door.  loudly-- Girls!  Suppertime!!  Stop playing and come on in!  Now!   and we'd holler back in our pleading voices-- Just a few more minutes???  Please!!!???  She would say--No!!  I said now!  Supper is ready!! )  Now it's Breakfast/lunch/dinner and you can throw in Brunch or Snack at times also.  Do any Mother's still call, out the door, for their children to stop-- playing/get out of the tree/building the fort/swinging/riding bike/putting on a play? 

I digress.  Maybe I am more of a digressor than a procrastinator?

Anyhow as I was saying.  I absolutely loved Elder Scott's talk and the power of it.  It's a very simple talk but there is such promise to it.  Apostles have the power/authority to pronounce blessings.  They can do it for individuals as in a Priesthood blessing but that somewhat limits who receives the blessing.  Not being rude but sort of like if someone were Catholic and kissed the Pope's ring then they are blessed but the millions that saw that don't get that specific privilege.  during Conference, apostles sometimes will bestow an Apostolic blessing on the Church membership and anyone else that cares to take the challenge given.  I can receive that blessing when I hear it or see it or read it.  I can claim it for my own.  whether I'm there or not.  I can choose that blessing for my life!   Elder Scott gave an Apostolic blessing on those that read the Scriptures daily!!  don't push folks.  don't shove.  We can all receive it.  We just do as he says and what he has said will transpire.

Here is that promise....

  There are many prophetic promises of the blessings of daily studying the scriptures.6

I add my voice with this promise: as you dedicate time every day, personally and with your family, to the study of God’s word, peace will prevail in your life. That peace won’t come from the outside world. It will come from within your home, from within your family, from within your own heart. It will be a gift of the Spirit. It will radiate out from you to influence others in the world around you. You will be doing something very significant to add to the cumulative peace in the world.

Another amazing strengthening fortifying promise of blessings, for reading daily, is found in that  goldmine of that itty bitty little blue 6 by the word scriptures  right here---- scriptures.6    Just hovering up here so innocent and un-pretentious and then you hit it and strike pure gold!!!

You then uncover 8 more Apostles statements with their promises about daily scripture study.  not only for you but for your family!!  My favorite over the years, one that I know to be true is President Kimball's.  We can hold on to what these Apostles have said and know, at some point, we will feel and realize and enjoy these blessings and that will be such a blessing!!!!



Make the Exercise of Faith Your First Priority  (love it!!)

Daily Scripture Study for sure!!!!   YES!!!

He talked about the basic 4...prayer/scripture study/ FHE/ attend Temple 

I have a testimony about each of them and the one that Terry and I are weak in is FHE.  We are going to consciously focus on FHE.

No comments: