Friday, January 3, 2014

Closet almost cleaned out!

So...a lot of thinking and reading on my part today.  About same gender attraction.  I watched the 3 videos that Mariah asked me to.  I said I'd study them.  wrong choice of words.  I meant I would watch them.  I've studied enough already on this subject.  She also asked me to comment.

The first one- I came out of it feeling the same as when I went into it.  I thought it would be sort of a guilt trip type thing.  I was happy that I felt no guilt over how I feel.  I'm an ally in my own way is what I decided.

The second one- I felt sorry for how the woman's previous anger had made her appear harsh so it was nice to see the soft side with the exchange with the little girl.  I didn't agree as i thought comparing the clothing as an analogy did not work for me.  She is a strong woman.

The 3rd one -  I've seen before.  It made me sad to see the suffering.

I have tried in my life to learn to love unconditionally and even when I can't muster it up, I still know that is my goal.  I personally cannot imagine the inner conflict of a gay person with a testimony, enjoying the Gospel, feeling the Holy Ghost, going to the Temple, enjoying Church meetings and the fellowship/friendship/brotherly love, coming to Church for peace/solace/hope, and feeling rejected/unwanted/unneeded/unwelcomed/gossiped about..

 Most especially when the Church you love acknowledges...we don't know why but there are some people with same sex attraction.  we realize that you are attracted to your own gender but you must never act on it.  How you are is not sinful nor are you a sinner but if you act on those feelings, then you have crossed the line and are in the sin zone.

To be told that this will be taken care of in the next life.  Gays have it difficult/excruciating enough and then adding the Church teachings to it...how on earth do they survive that seemingly hopeless doctrine?  I mean the gays.  not the Church.  some say this is like the Priesthood for ALL men.  I say it's not.  With that situation, leaders talked about the day would come when ALL men would have the priesthood.  Everyone was waiting for the Prophet to receive that revelation.  In this case of gayness the Church leaders are saying...This will not change.  Ever.  To me it's Biblical and also I believe in revelation given to Prophets.  They all say...No.  not going to happen.  Ever.  Absolutely not. Also the Family Proclamation states Man/Woman.  Male/Female.

I spent a large amount of time re-reading the Church website that Mariah had mentioned.  If you have ill feelings toward gay people or total confusion or trying to figure out how you should conduct yourself towards gay people then take a break and go here...
http://www.mormonsandgays.org/

This is from that official site....
 Where the Church stands:
The experience of same-sex attraction is a complex reality for many people. The attraction itself is not a sin, but acting on it is. Even though individuals do not choose to have such attractions, they do choose how to respond to them. With love and understanding, the Church reaches out to all God’s children, including our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters.

When I heard Elder Cook speak it melted my heart.  What a wonderful man.  Also the Stake President Roger Carter.  I listened to every single talk and read.  the talks are mostly very short.

I came out of today much as I went into it but I did have greater compassion for those dealing with this gigantic challenge.

Things that concern me are several...like people seeking the Savior and coming to Church and finding rejection.  I'm not feeling I need to condone nor do I need to judge.  I just need to live as I believe is the way the Savior wants and that is to endeavor to love unconditionally and treat kindly, when we are in the same setting.
***********************
Mariah's story to me is different because it's two active, temple recommend/temple going, women with testimonies.  I've seen the wake of devastation in Wards, over the years, just from divorces.  The gathering of supporters for each side.  The finger shaking/tongue wagging about the Bishop and what he did or didn't do.  how he handled it or didn't handle it.  what he should have done and didn't do.  on and on.  I've seen that sort of behavior for years.  I can only imagine what would happen in Wards, other than the one Mariah is in, with two women professing they are gay, divorcing their husbands, concern over the children etc. etc..  Perhaps because the Bishop and the congregation loved/love both families it has been pretty decent.  I don't know.  
****************
Mariah had a long time friend that was instrumental in getting her baptized and then when Mariah moved to Kansas that friend ended up in the same town!  Mariah was so happy to be in the same Ward.  She told me the woman was no longer her friend.  I asked why.  Today Mariah shared this....

Funny you should mention H. (my once friend). She actually called TODAY to let me know that she has requested that she be given a different visiting teaching partner. It is hard to understand her actions, but she says it is not because I am gay, but because I am in a relationship. I believe that she has tried to persuade the bishop to alter the counsel he has given us as well. Really she is the only one in the ward who has been so unsupportive. She says it not because I am gay, but really I believe that it is. As soon as I told her that I thought I was gay she stopped having us over for dinner and stopped going to the gym with me. 
******************************
also from Mariah:
 An additional thought that I had that I think I would like to share is that I DO NOT expect or hope that anybody who knows me would march or wear a rainbow ribbon or sign a petition on my behalf. All that I would ask any member of the church to do is simply pray. Not for me, but just a simple prayer that if there is more to the gospel that God plans to reveal, that we might have him open our hearts and find ourselves ready for this greater knowledge. 
************************
 To me I see so much heartache and pain down the road for my friend.  I'm not trying to be negative but that is how I feel.  I think things will get really messy with the entire gay movement (sorry, Mariah, to me it is a gay movement and not gay awareness).  I do believe that members, active members, will clash over this entire scene and we will see persecution.  With that being said...excuse me while I put my crystal ball back in the mothballs, take off my beaded turban, fold my paisley printed deep fringed table cloth and retire this subject except for an occasional update on Mariah's life! and move on with cleaning my closet.
 







No comments: