Thursday, October 18, 2018

Soul Food...

In my quest to re-arrange our life, with the newness of the reality of my darling guy aging and feeling the effects, which impacts both of us, I have been thinking of the poem--

If, of thy mortal goods,thou art bereft,
And from thy slender store two loaves
alone to thee are left.
Sell one and from the dole,
Buy Hyacinths to feed the soul.

I'm going to give us something gorgeous to see and enjoy on a regular basis.  Create something beautiful and set a still life, maybe even plural, that will feed our souls.  I started yesterday and know this is the right thing for us!  I say us but actually it's for me/myself/I.  

I state that because I set the stage yesterday with a fall wreath hanging right where it's very visible plus a pumpkin and some fall leaves under the TV and brought Terry's attention to it.  His wreath response...it's time for Christmas things? My response...It has apples and pears and pine-cones.  it's a Fall wreath.  His pumpkin response...flowers.  that's nice.  My response...It's a beautiful pumpkin nestled in fall leaves.  So you get the picture here! 

I got a leaf garland at the Dollar Store and the gorgeous Pier One velvety pumpkin, that came all dolled up with gorgeous leaves, didn't complain when I filled in the bottom with my $1 leaves!  The wreath is just gorgeous!  As is the purdy little punkin'!  Oh, yes!!  I'm feeling happy!!

I am not bothered in the least that he doesn't get it or appreciate it like I do!  His life will be better though because I'm feeding my own soul!!  Happy wife=Happy life!!  

Seasons are just so enjoyable to me so I'll go 4 seasons and then add little touches of special holidays etc.  I really don't do Halloween so I'm going Fall and that will carry me through to Thanksgiving and then I'll do Winter and Christmas.  I'm going to buy at least one thing that speaks to me, to my soul, that gladdens my heart, pleases the eye....to just thoroughly enjoy and celebrate the season.  

Deciding to do this is unleashing a bit of creativity as I'm prone to same ol' same ol' even though I like my same ol' same ol' All-Season bits and pieces.  My gorgeous tulips and paper whites are fine in season but a bit hard to swallow in freezing weather but I love them and keep them out year round so now I'm going to put them away until Spring time.  Well, I'll put them away when I find something Fall to put in their place.  Wait...aren't Paper Whites given as gifts at Christmas?  Whatever.

I'm going to learn how to use my new phone and share pictures.  I know you want to see this loveliness!  You probably already do this sort of seasonal magic!

Speaking of phone.  This morning I talked to my darling daughter.  Duo!  I loved seeing her precious face.  She hasn't been able to download her videos about her journey so was going to try once again today.  She is only 10 miles from her goal of Santiago!!!  She is excited and wondering how she will feel when she arrives.  I wonder also.  I'm so happy for her!!  

So about the phone.  I'm going to stop talking about it and try to facetime some family...like grandkids.  Jeanee and I are going to use it even when she gets home.  I carried that silly phone with me, from room to room- in this little tiny house, until she called in the morning.  When the time for her calling was gone...then I stopped hauling it around.  I'm still not into all of the digital stuff.  

I did go on that 10 day fast of social media, which for me was FB.  I received an e-mail notice about Jeanee's vlog or blog or whatever.  So I can check FB out today.  I realized I enjoy seeing pictures of people that I know and am held hostage by some family members.  I also know that I still don't know what the Rules of Decent Manners on PM etc.  It's mostly shorthand speech and I'm long-winded detail speech.  I also totally value my freedom and privacy in my personal life and will continue to live a life that is practically devoid of bells/rings/churrps/dings/vibrations.  I also re-affirmed the reality that I actually like talking to people and need to be more social in that respect.  That will be another project to take on!!  I'll look at FB today and see how the rest of the world is faring!

Speaking of the world...Canada!  Oh, WOW!  Nationwide legalization of recreational Marijuana!!  Crazy!!!  I am only for legalized Medical Marijuana.  This is scary to me!  oh boy!  here

Life is challenging but it sure is a good challenge.  Here are some hyacinths just for you!  xoxo













4 comments:

Natalie Thompson said...

Thanks again for your blog, Nancy. I, too, did the 10-day fast from social media. I want to recommend a talk to you: "To Sweep the Earth as With a Flood" by Elder David Bednar. Incredible! Awesome! All the superlatives I can think of. I do recommend that you WATCH and LISTEN to the talk rather than just read it. It changed my thoughts about communicating world wide and I think, based on what I have learned about you from your blog, that you will love it! Blessings to you and Terry.

Nancy Seljestad said...

And thanks to you, dear Natalie! I will watch this talk!
I hope this finds you doing okay. What an exciting time to be living and in the Gospel! It's such an amazing thing to watch all of this unfold!

Susie said...

I LOVE the hyacinth painting....you go girl!

Nancy Seljestad said...

Susie! would that I could gift you, and one for me too, of that hyacinth painting. I have no idea who or where etc. but it is heavenly!
Sending you love across the miles!! xoxox