Friday, October 5, 2018

Ready and set to go!!

Thoughts are racing through my mind like a team of wild horses!!  Truly I cannot slow them down to focus on one thing and one thing only.  Hmmm...there is one prevailing thought though that all else hinges on...tomorrow is the beginning of the grandest happening (since 6 months ago) General Conference!!!!

We are ready!  If excitement/anticipation is a qualifying trait...we are there!!

So amazed and so grateful for modern technology that brings it right to our TV screen.  Every single word.  Every single song.  Every prayer.  What a day to live in!!  We know that it can be seen later but we like to watch it unfold right before our eyes!

Surely, the Primary will be a major focus!  Surely they will say that these children need personal experiences with the Holy Ghost and we as teachers need to assist the parents in bringing that about. Surely, what we will teach and how we will teach will be advanced to meet the challenges of the world today!  Surely!!!

Surely, we will see President Kimball's prophecy mentioned/quoted and happen right before our eyes about we women in the last days!

Surely, we will see newness come into play with some announcement that catches us off guard OR will last CR continue to be enough for the present?

Oh, what do I know???  well, I do know this...whether everything remains status quo or a newness in areas not thought of- I love and believe and look forward to whatever is shared and it will become a part of my personal scripture study and our joint daily study.  That joint study consists of daily listening to two CR talks.  We enjoyed every talk from last CR and did as President Nelson asked...listened to them several times.  I'm a footnote lover so for my own personal study I'll be checking those out.

**************************

As I have gained a testimony that the heavens are still open and also testimony of living apostles- I just enjoy/love learning from them.  In 1973 was the first time I heard that the CR talks should be our walk and talk for the next 6 months by Harold B. Lee.

President Harold B. Lee's final Conference talk...  October 1973
Now, you Latter-day Saints, I think you have never attended a conference where in these three days you have heard more inspired declarations on most every subject and problem about which you have been worrying. If you want to know what the Lord would have the Saints know and to have his guidance and direction for the next six months, get a copy of the proceedings of this conference, and you will have the latest word of the Lord as far as the Saints are concerned. And [also] all others who are not of us, but who believe what has been said has been "the mind of the Lord, the will of the Lord, and the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation." (See D&C 68:4.) 


Later I found that he had actually had given the same sort of counsel in 1946- long before I joined the Church...
President Harold B. Lee said: “As the Latter-day Saints go home from this conference, it would be well if they consider seriously the importance of taking with them the report of this conference and let it be the guide to their walk and talk during the next six months. These are the important matters the Lord sees fit to reveal to this people in this day” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1946, p. 68).


*********************

At last Aprils CR Elder Anderson talked about asking Elder Oaks a question, years ago, about preparation for Conference talks.

Viewing the general conference sessions with our family is not sufficient to bring a love for the prophets. On one occasion some years before my call as a General Authority, I conducted a meeting presided over by one of the Apostles. After the meeting, I asked him about his stake conference talks. “Do you prepare something specific for each stake conference?” I asked. He replied that he generally did not, but relied upon promptings received just prior to and during the conference. But then he added, “But my general conference talk is very different. I will normally go through twelve to fifteen drafts to be certain that it is what the Lord would have me say.” Many times since then I have asked myself, If an Apostle will go through twelve to fifteen drafts, is it pleasing to the Lord if I listen to or read his message one or two times? I don’t think so.


*********************


Last April CR President Nelson mentioned it also!  I was glad to be reminded to study in depth the current counsel.  There is so much available and we were watching all sorts of things.  It was powerful to us to do that very focused study as a base for whatever else rolled our socks up as a personal interest.

from President Nelson's closing remarks April 2018...
I exhort you to study the messages of this conference frequently—even repeatedly—during the next six months. Conscientiously look for ways to incorporate these messages in your family home evenings, your gospel teaching, your conversations with family and friends, and even your discussions with those not of our faith. Many good people will respond to the truths taught in this conference when offered in love. And your desire to obey will be enhanced as you remember and reflect upon what you have felt these past two days.


**********************************

I've always been impressed that these talks are in cement.  there is no opportunity for them to say...you know what? I don't really feel that way anymore and I should have said such and such.  No allowance made for do-overs!

Above all...to me it is Scripture!
68:3 And this is the ensample unto them, that they shall speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost.
And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.














2 comments:

Celise said...

Thank you Nancy! This post is just what I needed!

Nancy Seljestad said...

Celise!! thank you, my dear girl!! love to you and yours as you travel and explore! Enjoy every minute of Conference and I will also! xoxox