Tuesday, October 23, 2018

New understanding...

I recently learned something that to me is just wonderful!!  Back story...I love to learn about the Gospel.  I shared this before that Grace to me was explained and understood as - I want to get from A-Z and I can only get to L.  Grace will then get me the rest of the way.  Then I read a talk that just opened my eyes to that concept not really being the way that Grace works.  I blogged about it (somewhere!) but it was this man's inspiration that has continued to impact me about Grace....

His Grace is Sufficient for You by Elder James J. Hamula 2014 here

The Divine Power of Grace by Elder James J. Hamula December 2016 Ensign   here

So I grew in Grace....

And now I've increased and have a new, different and rings true to me understanding of what taking the Sacrament means to me, as an individual, and what it signifies.  I was- taught/picked up/figured out/believed- that partaking of the Sacrament is a renewal of my Baptismal Covenant.  I have now changed my viewpoint.  

A new Way to Look at the Sacrament That Will Deepen Your Understanding of Covenants and Atonement  here  
  by John S. Tanner, president of BYU-Hawaii | October 20, 2018 

(President Tanner's wife, Susan W. Tanner, was the General Young Women's President at one time and his mother-in-law, Barbara Winder, was the General Relief Society President. Many years ago I met his MIL in Alaska... my dear friend and I took her on a picnic, as she was touring and visiting the Church as the RSPresident.  I'd met her cousin Ned Winder in Anchorage a few years before.  Such great people!)


************************

Our daughter's Pilgrimage is pretty much over.  She arrived in Santiago and then did her final desire...sunset at Finesterre! She is now in Paris and heading homeward to Florida...an extremely long flight.  She was so great at checking in with us, along the way, to reassure us that she was okay.  Makes me almost ready/willing to really embrace more technology.  Remember my SmartPhone, that I didn't want?  Well, I'm so thankful for it.  I got to duo and see her sweet face.  Last I heard from her she was exhausted/exhilarated...her body wants to walk...her appetite is gone (after eating vast quantities of food daily!)...and, would you believe this?....she got a spider bite on her face.  She went to a Pharmacist and got some salve etc. and he said he could see two punctures!!!  Good grief!!    I'm looking forward to hearing about these Pharmacies that you evidently just go in and get some sort of medical care? She will get home and have to re-acclimate to her regular life!

I enjoyed reading comments from people on her YouTube vlogs? videos? posts?- whatever they are called.  Several people would say Buen Camino.  I knew that mean Good Camino.  One man would say... Ultreia Camino.  I ended up loving that phrase when I found out the meaning....

The word ‘Ultreia’ (also ‘ultrella’ or ‘ultreya’) comes from Latin and it means ‘beyond’. Ultreia is another pilgrim salute, like the more popular ‘Buen Camino!’. While ‘Buen Camino’ literally means ‘have a good journey, a good Camino’, the meaning of ‘Ultreia!’ goes a bit deeper, implying encouragement to keep going, reaching ‘beyond’, heading onwards. It is also believed Medieval pilgrims used to greet each other with ‘Ultreia, Suseia, Santiago’, meaning something like ‘beyond,upwards, Santiago’. Other sources suggest ‘Ultreia’ was used in the same way as ‘Hallelujah’, once pilgrims finally reached Santiago de Compostela.

here is her entry into Santiago. I love this one. I cry each time I watch it. Yes...I binge watch her videos! here


 

2 comments:

Natalie Thompson said...

I know what it's like to be part of someone's great accomplishment. I went with my daughter to Florida 7 years ago when she did an Iron Man Triathlon! She trained hard...never let anything interfere with her training...and then, just DID IT! I felt like a slug standing along the sidelines! But when she crossed the finish line and I heard the announcer say her name and...."you are an iron man"...as they did for everyone finishing...it brought tears to my eyes to be "part of" her accomplishment. My kids have all turned out better than me and it's WONDERFUL! Congrats to your daughter! She's a winner!

Nancy Seljestad said...

Iron Man Triathlon!! wow!! I can't even imagine!

Sounds like both of our girls had true grit!

So good to know you are staying in touch through reading my blog! It means so much to me!

Love you, Natalie!!