Tuesday, October 9, 2018

On board

I love being my age at this time in these last days!  I get such a sense of amazement seeing how things have transpired through changes implemented by the General Church Leadership.

When I joined the Church we did not own any scriptures.  I had a blue child's Bible stories that a Great Aunt had given me at birth (I have no idea where it is.  wish I knew!)  Neither of us were raised with scriptures.  When I went to my Baptist Church meetings I didn't notice people with Bibles.  I know my wonderful Sunday School teacher knew Bible stories and she really knew and loved Jesus.  She bore that witness every single Sunday.  The Preacher, of course, had his Bible right there on the pulpit and he would flip through the pages, he referenced, as he tried to get us to repent and accept his altar call.

When I came into the Church, with a great curiosity for learning about the Gospel...I felt blocked.  I don't know how we ended up with a Book of Mormon.  The only people that I saw with Scriptures, at Church, were men that had been on Missions.  When I did get a Bible and a Book of Mormon, they were so confusing with a strip of references down the center section of the page or at the bottom, that made no sense to me.  Eventually, of course, the Church made learning so available with the simplification and extensive footnotes etc.  I have loved learning and growing and studying.

In 1963 President Kimball and his wife Camilla co-wrote an article for the Relief Society magazine called The Power of Books. They were talking about the study of the Standard works and having them available in our homes.  They suggested this...How fine if every child could have the New Testament even in early years, and, a little later, his own triple combination of the three books and also his own Bible.

I was reminded of how far we have come in 55 years.  Nowadays it's almost common/ordinary & expected that an 8 year old, at Baptism, will receive a new and complete set of Scriptures.

In reading about the new home-centered learning centers I saw this picture and it reminded me of how far we have come in acessibility of available knowledge and also children that are ready to learn and grow.

family studying the scriptures

Before Conference Terry and I had been visiting about how excited we were to hear the latest word from the leaders.  Terry said...whatever they say we will figure out how to do it. That made my heart happy on several levels...he had a righteous desire to be obedient and for us to do it as a couple...he was leading out even though his health isn't 100% and sometimes Rx dulls his senses so all of it made me thankful and happy!

He also has said for years...we have to get on the train or we will be left at the station.  it's going to leave with or without us.  So we are staying on the train!

At this point for our joint study/discussion- we will keep on listening to two Conference talks a day and listen to one chapter in the new Church History book Saints.  That book really shows how totally different we are.  We each wanted our own book so I picked those up (can you believe $5.75 for such a big book!).  Terry found there is an audio available so that is the route we are going.  Yesterday was our first time of listening.  I got my book and a red pencil.  I asked him...do you want a red pencil for marking?  Taken aback he said...Why would I mark in my new book???  (61 years of doing this marital dance!)

Anyhow it was a great day of companion study!!  They already had the videos on of every single talk.  Ah, the beauty and wonder of technology!

I've been reading about the new way of Church and how this will work.  I happened on this  paragraph and thought...what freedom we are given to study whatever works for us in our situation.

Individuals and families, however, seek inspiration as they choose to study what will best meet their needs. They prayerfully consider options such as the Book of Mormon and other standard works, general conference messages, Church magazines, information available on LDS.org, and other materials suggested by general or local leaders. There is no expectation that members will study all, or even most, of these resources at any one time.

(LDS.org.....wonder what will happen with that on the name needing to be changed?  By the way...I finally figured out how to get the reference to me being a Mormon off of my profile.  Me...being compliant!)

No comments: