Sunday, September 11, 2016

settling in....

Today is 9/11.  Just like other world-wide events of tragedy, that strike horror to your heart, I remember specifically where I was when I heard the news.  In the basement of the Porter home, teaching an early morning Seminary lesson.  My mind still can't absorb all of the details.  I remember being glued to the TV...mourning with the nation...saddened to my core...feeling such love for our country...flying our flag. 

Early morning and I watched a neighbor hang a fixture to display his flag.  People do still remember even if things are so dreadful on so many levels in our world and even our own beautiful country.

******

Terry had a extremely rough few days and I left to go to Church and give my assigned talk.  I bailed ship on my Laurel lesson and came home.  Right now things have leveled out, he is resting.  One of our grandsons came for a surprise visit and that is great to see him even though it's been a rather hectic time here!

********************

In July I went to a very low key birthday lunch with a couple of friends.  It was very casual and I wore a navy top, not new, loose and flowy.  I was surprised when a younger woman said...nice top.  I like that...and me not being a fashionista by any means ---I was puzzled.

I decided to buy a couple of tops for McCall and was surprised at how loose the style was.  Sort of like maternity tops from the late 50's except not as full.  I'm really slow on the pick-up! The times they are a changin'!

Hooray!!  it's no longer fashionable to wear everything snug/revealing/skin-skimming tightness.  Also sleeves are in!!  relaxed is in!!  So are dresses with a feminine flair and even gorgeous prints and even florals!!

I'm thinking modesty is making a comeback!!  I'm sure the fashion houses are doing it for $$ but it's so nice to the eye and so feminine.  How clever of them to make current wardrobes out of date and require you to buy new apparel!!

My Mother's philosophy was...if you hang onto something after it is out of style and wait long enough it will come back into style. She didn't hang onto anything (unlike her daughter!) but I've thought of that.  Eventually the old will be vogue and what was outdated will be vintage and copied as it becomes the new current fashion.  I do have the dress Mother wore at my wedding.  Worn once.  Carefully preserved.  oh, you want to see a picture of this royal blue dress?  Uh, it will turn up, all tissue paper wrapped, when I do the garage tidy up!

And make-up is making a comeback from all I see from Florida friends to Washington with women being consultants for Lipsense.   

And fun things for nails with the Jamberry products (see Julianna I. if you live nearby)

I'm happy for the old time look now being the current new one! 

*********************

Turns out I'm moving my table for sewing from the back bedroom, to temporary kitchen table and now to our bedroom.  It's going to work out great.  Have it all set up and ready to keep on sewing.  I found 4 log-cabin quilt tops + the 2 flannel squares + the new one + at least 4 polar fleece ones that need to be cut/bound.  So 11 months out and I have 11 tops to finish off!!  Makes me happy!!  My goal is 25 so that is definitely attainable. 

Terry thought I was making 5 for our original bunch and hopefully 1 for him!  He's not quite as certain or supportive as he was when it dawned on him that I've jumped off the diving board intending to swim and he acts like I'm in quicksand.  Time will tell as to who got it right.

********************************

Still on the bike ride to nowhere and still on for 30 minutes.  This week, starting tomorrow, I'll start pedaling fast until I have to slow down and repeat it but never stop pedaling.  sounds so simple but I remember when I use to walk (yes, I've walked before!) that it was effective to do that for maximum results. 

Haven't made any food changes yet.  I don't drink alcohol/coffee/tea/soda pop/seldom drink juice & I don't smoke anything & I don't chew gum.  Oh, plus I only eat butter and not margarine & sugar and not substitutes and I'll take whole milk over non-fat.  What virtues!!

*************************************

I gave a talk at Church today and I didn't do real swift.  I was worn out from Terry having such a tough time and I didn't have a watch and I detest going overtime almost as much as checking the wall clock!  I asked Bishop to give the podium a little bump to make sure I didn't go over.  He didn't do it.  He said he just decided to let me talk.  I hope I didn't eat up the High-councilman's time! 

Now you read my whiny excuses!!  Wah!!!!  Wah!!!!

*******************************
I need a good night's sleep and the dawn will bring brightness and refreshing of self.

****************************

So enjoying reading that book about the Atonement.  Not real fast reading but so well researched and written in such a nice way.  Very thorough.

**********

Blissful thought...It's almost General Conference time!!!  So looking forward to every second of hours of words from Prophets and other inspired speakers. 






No comments: