Thursday, September 8, 2016

Pedaling along....

I called Jeanee to find out when she flew out of here, when she headed back to Florida, as I'm pretty certain I started my endless bike ride to nowhere the day after she left.  That means that as of yesterday it's been 4 weeks.  Now if I was going somewhere, actually moving, then I've gone a few miles at 30 minutes a day-5 days a week.  I'm going for health by July 2017 so 11 months to go!!

I'm watching for benefits and so far, I see greater endurance in daily life.  Terry's sleep is broken most of the time so mine is sort of bent out of shape.  not broken.  just bent.  That makes for tiredness the next day.  I now, even though I'm still feeling tired, can keep moving and not doing a sit and doze/on and off siesta.  So I'm thankful for that.

Still doing a few of the steps and a few of the resistance bands.  nothing spectacular in the doing or results, except for satisfaction that I'm trying, and knowing ---eventually things will pay off in some unknown way.  Unknown at this time!

My mind has a great festival of thinking and enjoying ideas that pop in and then pop out.

One day I called my daughter and we talked for the full 30 minutes but I don't know if that is really good as she is at her mid-day projects with the three hour time difference.  I think I miss my random thoughts also!

such as....

Church Service

On the Sunday the Bishopric came in to reorganize the Laurel class Presidency, I had a surreal moment.  Looking across the room, I saw a beautiful woman, that I'd met when she was 14 and a Freshman in high school.  I was her Seminary teacher and then her YW leader/teacher.  Next to her was her gorgeous/accomplished daughter.  Now 18 and a Senior this year.  This is my second year of being her Laurel teacher!!  That seems very interesting to me!!  and sort of amazing!

As a pedaled along, for some reason, I thought of the Primary song about Pioneer Children sang as they Walked and Walked.  I remembered being a new convert and the music leader, this wonderful woman, taught all of us this new song.  My feet pumped and I thought of Church Service and the many opportunities that I've had and how much I've loved and enjoyed all of them (although it was a struggle when Terry was called into the Branch Presidency of the YSA.  I was released from Seminary and for 4-1/2 years pretty much attended meetings and activities but no calling, so to speak.  that was tough to endure as I like to have something to tend to in the Kingdom!)

Over the years I've had fantastic experiences and opportunities to stretch and grow and develop skills/talents (that I didn't know I was capable of doing).  I've met fantastic people and been involved in fantastic soul-satisfying events.  I have memories that are just precious to me!!

One interesting fact...well, interesting to me anyhow....I joined the Church 55 years ago!  The Bishop called me to teach the CTR-B class.  Preparing the children for baptism.  Marvelous experience.  I taught a year and we moved across town.  I had no calling.  We moved to CA and Terry was in the YM Presidency.  I was the Primary secretary for awhile and then called as a Primary Counselor.  Mid-stream of that year,  I got asked to do a play production for the youth.  I have NEVER served in Primary again!  Ever!  In 55 years!  Is there a place I can record such a thing???  some prize?  All those dedicated/inspired Primary workers are feeling sorry for me about now!

I have enjoyed and immersed myself in my callings.  In looking back I see something that never dawned on me for a long time.  We always lived in the Mission field and I think opportunities to do super exciting things (at least for me...like Youth Conferences/Women Conferences/Standard nights/guest speaker/radio show/newspaper column etc. etc.) happened because there were no experienced people around!  So had there been...possibly I would not have had those opportunities!  I was able to have great spiritual experiences and grow in learning about accessing God through prayer for help when I was so clueless.

One of my joys is the fact that I've always had the opportunity to teach.  That is a bit of heaven.  I know all organizations have need of leaders but my love is teaching in whatever form I can.  I was that Primary Counselor for a bit.  Was the Stake YW leader- once.  the Ward YW leader- once.  RSP- once.  I enjoyed those times of service but my heart is in having a class of my own to teach.  Like these LovelyLaurels that are mine.  At some point it to will end but for now...it's lovely!  

It seems that it used to be a lot more chatter about inspiration/called by revelation clause in The Church.  Sometimes I hear things like...there is no one here that can do that.  To me that is one of the most exciting things...to be called to something that you know you aren't qualified for and then end up doing it anyhow and filling the bill.  I had that happen and I'm sure you have also. 

Spoken by President Monson at one of his birthday celebrations....

 “I echo the words of the Scottish writer and poet James Barrie, who wrote, ‘God gave us memories, that we might have June roses in the December of our lives’ (See Laurence J. Peter, comp., Peter’s Quotations: Ideas for Our Time (1977), 335).”


Image result for june roses in december
blurry roses with Alaska's State flower...forget-me-nots!


No comments: