Saturday, June 6, 2015

Short but not so sweet!


So we started here....one day



And we ended up here ...next day!



Round trip from driveway to driveway!  678.5 miles.  traveled half of those miles and stayed the night at Klamath Falls and then backtracked home next day!

Terry was not doing good health-wise and we had to come back home.  It was a tough tearful decision but in the long run it was the right thing to do.

I had this plan to use all these small bags and then realized...except for an overnighter at a Hotel or two...there would be strong men to carry the suit cases in.  Disregarding the thought that each home has a washer/dryer and would gladly let me throw in the dirty duds, I decided to go big.  go big and then go home!!  with never unpacking a smidgen of the mountains of stuff I brought along!

One really big suitcase to share...then a medium one for each of us...then a small one for each of us...then 2 net bags with shoes for each of us... a carrier bag for our tablets and our MapQuest on clipboard... a case for Terry's laptop...an open tray with mail...a cane (just in case!)... and that filled up the trunk and some of the back seat.  I filled in with a case of Costco water  (the hubster wanted to make sure we were prepared!!)....a box of food to eat (brought it all back home!)...and things to give---...4 jigsaw puzzles and 4 paint by number sets and Lydia's jumper.  Then brought things for each home to add to their food storage...good ol' Costco--nuts and grain- Basmati Rice and Steelcut Oats.

Totally overboard!  I'm guilty.  I admit it.  Next time (and yes, we will have a next time!) when that sometime out in the future shows up...like McCall!...I will pack so minimal that it will be shocking!!  Yes, we are planning McCall trip.

I planned in such detail and printed the Map Quest papers, Kipper updated the GPS that had not been updated since 2008, got the car serviced and those 4 new tires (Terry is still lamenting that finding from the service check and living with...If you had died going to the Temple I would never forgive myself.  I have always taken care of your tires/car/service etc.  He is not giving to theatrics or drama so he was really feeling sorry.  Again.  I told him to let it go.)  Just saying I was packed and ready with all bases covered.

Overlooking one very key fact.  He hadn't felt good, to the point that he'd missed Church for 3 weeks in a row!  Now that is like the most unusual fact ever written!  He never misses Church unless he is really down for the count.  Another thing I overlooked was ...I told him that he could sit in the car as easily as his chair and be at the computer or on his laptop when we arrived. We'd talked about he could just sit and relax and enjoy the scenery.

I didn't think it through or realize...if a person is miserable with pain or exhausted and can't move for several hours because he is strapped to a car seat, in the real sense of the word,  then it will not be a happy experience!

Live and learn!  Big discussion and tears (to a minimum but still shed tears) breaking the news to those we were headed out to see.

Red flags surface all over for our kiddos with the backtracking homeward.  I had to reassure them that Dad is not dying.  They know he detests change and is a creature of habit and this whole health thing has thrown him for a loop.  The neuralgia causes the most disturbance and at home he can sort of do his routine stuff to help himself cope.  I told him I'd support whatever he felt was best. (Even though he'd said earlier...I should not have tried this trip. What part of NO don't I understand or pick up on??) 

He decided we should go to the first home on our route, our youngest, but in all truth when I called to tell them, and looked at Terry hurting on the bed, I just vetoed his decision and told her I was taking him home.  He was thankful and I was glad and our DIL was an angel (as were the others).  She had been very concerned about our driving so many miles, so she was all for it.

Got home Friday night and watched Elder Perry's funeral before bed.  What a marvelous age we live in!!  while Terry was resting up for the trip home that morning, we had tried so hard at the Motel, to get it on our tablets or laptop and had no luck.  It was wonderful to know we could listen/see when we got home.  Wasn't that such a beautiful tribute?

I know the next apostle could be anyone but wouldn't it be exciting if Mindi's former Mission President is called???  (Mindi is a former Seminary Student, that I of course adore! All Seminary teachers feel that way about their charges!  love her so!  Elder Rasband was her MP in New York City!)

So regrouping and recharging and thinking how to simplify my life and get more in control of handling things in smoother fashion.  I do think that I have the packing for travel figured out and pared down to next to nothing.  So that can be crossed off my list!!!

A few pictures...not Photoshopped at all and all taken from the car while it was moving.  Terry tried his best and I did too but they are as expected...thumbs down!  Remember- we never arrived at any destination, so we have no people or homes to show!  but as promised some readers, that were looking forward to pictures...not to disappoint...here you go!!!

Courtesy of Terry
Terry the photog man!!
see the windmills in the distance?  by Terry
Me driving and taking this gorgeous picture! Yikes! Is that a police car in the mirror???
I shot this.  A town closing down.  Old antique store.  a drive by shooting.  by me.
Terry and his eye for scenery!
ditto above
uh-huh
you bet!  you got it, honey!!
at last.  what he wanted a picture of!
Is this earthly or extra terrestrial beings???




No comments: