Wednesday, June 10, 2015

37 years ago????....

When we joined the Church, Blacks, were not allowed to join.  I'm not sure what the PC term is nowadays, but in those days we referred to the black race as Negroes.  In my early Church life, I did not really think about this.  I didn't understand why they couldn't but on the other hand, I picked up somewhere along the way that eventually that would be a reality.  It was occasionally, few and far between times, mentioned and questioned in a wondering fashion of- wonder when it will happen?

I personally only knew of one person that thought the idea was ridiculous and that the Church leaders needed to get modern and just make the change.  He was the type of...we should all write the Prophet and petition him to make the change.  He was also embarrassed by the fact that the Church was so stuck back in time and archaic in their thinking.

And then came the DAY!!!

I remember this day

I heard it on the radio and could not believe my ears.  I hopped in the car and headed over to Terry's shop to see if he was there and to tell him the news.  He wasn't there.  I found him driving his truck, rolled down my car window, and told him what had just been announced. We both broke out in tears.  Such a historic time to witness!  We wondered what would happen and how things would proceed.  I know I have blogged before about it.

There were many reasons/opinions given as to why it had taken so long.  I have my own totally unauthorized speculative opinion which I totally believe to be true!  well, it's my truth.  Okay?  So here's my thoughts....The Church was destined to get it's start here in the USA...  It took quite some time to get the membership numbers up... There were some large groups that joined at one time (remember England?)...some congregations.  It took time to build the Church membership to where we had strong leadership in a good sized number.  My point???...The humble African people were eager and ready and recognized the truth BUT there really weren't enough of us to handle all of them!!

I read the books about those first couples that went over there and were just amazed/stunned/overwhelmed with the droves of people seeking baptism.  Then Wards/Branches had to be established and leaders trained and Book of Mormons brought in etc. etc.  Everything had to be established from the ground up.  I remember reading that at one time they had to halt the baptisms and get things established and then they would start again!  To me it's a very practical thing-- time had to go by until we were ready to offer them  the fullness of the Gospel.  My simple viewpoint but one I believe in my heart.

Here is a clip of some of those early baptisms!!! Amazing!!! 

The LDS Homosexuals compare their desires of full acceptance into the Church as to how the Africans felt.  BUT it is not the same.  Not at all.  This short announcement says it all and back up my belief of their being absolutely NO comparison in these two situations...

"(The Lord) has heard our prayers, and by revelation has confirmed that the long-promised day has come when every faithful, worthy man in the Church may receive the holy priesthood, with power to exercise its divine authority, and enjoy with his loved ones every blessing that flows therefrom, including the blessings of the temple," President Spencer W. Kimball, then prophet of the church, said in a letter read aloud in a general conference broadcast on Sept. 30, 1978.

There it is ...(The Lord) has heard our prayers, and by revelation has confirmed that the long-promised day has come....


It was understood...it was prayed for...and Prophets acknowledged that fact that the LONG-PROMISED day had arrived!!!

It is not true by any stretch of the imagination that the Authorities are praying or expecting or desiring for "active" gays to have  "... every blessing that flows therefrom, including the blessings of the temple, ...".

There were wonderful gay people, hurt by our recent General Conference, because the Authorities stated, in no uncertain terms, there would be no statement forthcoming for the gays to have that sort of inclusion.  It is not on their prayer list.  Plus their lifestyle was stated as being wrong.  I know it hurt my friend Mariah.

Conference Announcement when it was presented to the Church...please read as this really details how they had waited and longed for the day and fervently prayed for that day to happen.  It also tells some details for proceeding forward.  Fascinating Church History segment!!! Don't miss listening to this!!
***********************************
Remember Elder Sitati who spoke at our recent April 2015 General Conference?  Read what he says in this quote about the timing of the Church coming to Africa...

“The African people are a kind and patient people,” said Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve after a recent visit with members of the Church in Mozambique and Nigeria. “They don’t have a lot of income or resources that allow them financially to do things, so they just do them out of sheer effort. They will walk miles and miles and miles to accomplish something that they are prompted to do by the Holy Ghost to further the work.”

It is that will coupled with hope, Elder Sitati maintains, that makes transformation possible. “The teachings of the Church give them hope. People can climb from adverse circumstances; they embrace those teachings and their lives are blessed. The Church arrived in Africa at the right time. It’s not a quick fix to all the problems faced by people in these lands, but it is a sure fix.”








No comments: