Tuesday, June 2, 2015

a memory....

In what seems like a million years ago...We were in Anchorage and I was the Stake YW President.  We would have these terrific youth conferences and one year, not certain of the reason, President Hugh B. Brown, attended the opening session of our youth conference.  We were to meet in the Chapel, for his remarks, and then bus the youth up to the Church campground.

Only because I was the YW President I ended up with the privilege of meeting him and going to a prayer meeting with him.  And when it was time to start the meeting-  I got to walk into the Chapel with him and sit by him on the stand.  He was very distinguished looking and very pleasant.  He startled me when he leaned over, just before speaking, and quietly said...Is my mouth drooling?  The right side of my face doesn't work.  I looked closely at his face and reassured him...No.  You aren't drooling.  You are fine.  He certainly was fine!  He was fine on so many levels.  At that time he was a Counselor in the First Presidency to President McKay.  I remember the hush that fell over the full chapel when he walked in and as one body, all stood.  I could feel the love and respect for him as we walked down the aisle to the stand.  He dabbed his face with his handkerchief frequently.

Here is about his face problem... He continued in the dual capacity of mission president and coordinator of Latter-day Saint servicemen until the fall of 1946, when he suffered a crushing attack of tic douloureux. He was released from Church assignment and proceeded to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, New York, where a successful operation was performed which removed a portion of the nerve serving one side of his face and head, resulting in paralysis of the right side of his face.

He had the most beautiful love story...

One of his talks remains a classic today  The Currant Bush

Recently I saw this article about something that had not been published before.  Interesting how it turned up and I really enjoyed reading it!  I hope you do also.

Never-Before-Seen Letter on Doubt By Hugh B. Brown - LDS.net: Mormon Social News Network

Elder Hugh B. Brown
President Hugh B. Brown

No comments: