Monday, April 29, 2013

Bag Lady

When Terry's cousin died it was decided by his family to wait until now and have a memorial service.  I'm the designated driver in our home now and this would be a long trip to Union WA. It seemed long to me--  Round-trip was 473 miles.  I earned a gold star, self-awarded, for doing the entire trip, memorial service, and a couple of brief breaks in one day!!!  I want to build up driving stamina to put in a 10 hour road trip and not feel like I may need to sleep a month plus not balking at getting in a car again.

Packing involved the possibility of staying overnight plus things needed- no matter whether we stayed over or not.

I'm a bag lady.  Are all women or just me?  I don't mean a designer purse.  In high school we carried small clutch bags and the contents were a wallet with lots of pictures, lipstick, a comb and not much else.  If we drove we had a car key, of course.

Bags really came into play with diaper bags.  With Banky/Bear/Bottle.  and all the other paraphernalia that you take with you just in case.

Packing for this trip reminded me of those times.  Concern for Terry and a long tiring trip. Things for comfort/warmth/snack.  Even forgetting his pillow and making do with a jacket, it all worked out.  It always does, doesn't it? 

I was thinking, while he slept, of the importance of things as necessities/essentials/luxury items.  I was thinking of how much emphasis we put on the acquisition of and tending to our things.  I was thinking that we really won't take anything with us...

1 Tim 6:7 For we brought anothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

What will we take with us....what is on the table of our hearts?

Proverbs 3:1-4
My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
 For length of days, and along life, and bpeace, shall they add to thee.
 Let not mercy and atruth forsake thee: bbind them about thy neck; write them upon the ctable of thine dheart:
 So shalt thou find afavour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
These foot notes especially on 3 are terrific.

We will take our Intelligence.  Section 130

18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
 19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.
Evidently we will take our memory bank... don't you think?  as the Book of Mormon mentions about our thoughts and judgement and actions.  doesn't that bring to mind.... Did I serve?  Do good? Do enough?

So there I was driving in traffic and enjoying thinking about these things.  I appreciate this phase of my life to be able to have quiet time to think, even if I'm driving!

Sunday, in the Ward I visited, the teacher showed a video that I'd not seen about John Tanner.  It's the Doctrine and Covenants/Church History one.  It made me teary and more determined to live better and do better.  So I traveled my 473 miles in one day (and that was with stopping for a memorial and a quick dinner).  John traveled 500 miles, by wagon and it took him 25 days!!  He had 9 children, no money, they were hungry and turned away.  I am so blessed.  I have sufficient for my needs every single day.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          


No comments: