Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I believe Prophets...

In 1980 President Ezra Taft Benson gave a talk at BYU.  I figure the average age of the audience was 19+.  So today they would be around 52+ (if my math is right)  Here is what he said to them....

My beloved brothers and sisters. I am honored to be in your presence today. You students are a part of a choice young generation—a generation which might well witness the return of the Lord.

Not only is the Church growing in number today, it is growing in faithfulness and, even more important, our young generation, as a group, is even more faithful than the older generation. God has reserved you for the eleventh hour—the great and dreadful day of the Lord (D&C 110:16). It will be your responsibility not only to help to carry the kingdom to a triumph but to save your own soul and strive to save those of your family and to honor the principles of the inspired constitution of the United States.

In 1981 the talk was printed in the Liahona as The President's Message.  Read it.  Share it at FHE.  Check and see if you are on course yourself.  Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet

He quoted one of my favorite quotes by President Harold B. Lee.  One that has ever stayed in my mind and one I really learned from.  I remember what he said and being shocked at his bluntness when he said it but off the top of my head I can't remember what was going on in the world/Church to warrant him saying...

“You may not like what comes from the authority of the Church. It may conflict with your political views. It may contradict your social views. It may interfere with some of your social life … Your safety and ours depends upon whether or not we follow … Let’s keep our eye on the President of the Church. (Joseph fielding Smith)” (Conference Report, October 1970, p. 152–153.)

True, the Church is the restoration of the original Church of Jesus Christ.  There are those in our midst that would like the restoration to be reorganized.  They want their ideas to be put into play.  With Prophets at the head we can have confidence they will know what needs to be done by the Church as a whole and by us as individuals.  We raise our hands to sustain them.  to support them.  to follow their counsel.  They do not ask for suggestions or write in campaigns or organized rallies etc.

President Benson...#12 of his 14 points talk...

Twelfth: The prophet will not necessarily be popular with the world or the worldly.
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. The honest in heart heed his words but the unrighteous either ignore the prophet or fight him. When the prophet points out the sins of the world, the worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Many a prophet has been killed or cast out. As we come closer to the Lord’s second coming you can expect that as the people of the world become more wicked, the prophet will be less popular with them.

also in his talk he quoted President N. Eldon  Tanner...
 
“The Prophet (President David O. McKay)  spoke out clearly on Friday morning, telling us what our responsibilities are …

“A man said to me after that, ‘You know, there are people in our state who believe in following the Prophet in everything they think is right, but when it is something they think isn’t right, and it doesn’t appeal to them, then that’s different.’ He said, ‘Then they become their own prophet. They decide what the Lord wants and what the Lord doesn’t want.’

“I thought how true, and how serious when we begin to choose which of the covenants, which of the commandments we will keep and follow, we are taking the law of the Lord into our own hands and become our own prophets, and believe me, we will be led astray, because we are false prophets to ourselves when we do not follow the Prophet of God. No, we should never discriminate between these commandments, as to those we should and should not keep.” (CR, October 1966, p. 98.)

I remember hearing these talks, learning, being impressed and now I see they are just as applicable now as then because these statements are pure truth by  Prophets.  They are not outdated.  They are just as valid now as when I first heard them and read them.  They are a part of my testimony foundation of living Prophets.  The Holy Ghost witnessed to me these statements were true then and when I re-read and put these on my blog...again that witness came-- we are lead by Prophets and we need to heed their counsel.

You can relax....I'm not going to forever be blaring through my megaphone about all that is going on but really, I've got to say what I think and what I'm feeling.  so for a bit...just a couple more blogs... I'll probably be in full bore soap box mode!  I think about the current happenings so much.  I may as well get it out of my system.  Get it laid out on the table.  Share my perspective and concerns and testimony and then move on.   Okay?  I hope you don't mind. 





  

No comments: