Monday, April 1, 2013

More than you want/need to know!

 Perhaps it's that childhood carryover of lots of congregational singing that makes me long for super special music on Christmas and Easter.  I remember when the preacher would have request time and congregants would call out hymn titles or page numbers, shoot their hands up in the air, stretching like an eager grade school-er knowing they have the right answer.  Hoping against hope that they will be called on.  Our small but vocal Baptist group would sing out with gusto and pure enjoyment.  Sometimes the preacher would extend the impromptu sing fest with just one more number.

He would then close it and start preaching again.  I now wonder-- did he need to collect his thoughts so he'd stop and have us sing while he figured out what he needed to say next?  I don't know.  I do know I came to love religious music.  I'm not comfortable with hand clapping, foot stamping, almost danceable tunes.  But I do love Gospel harmony.

Sunday was Easter.  I expected drama/music/talks that made me teary or at least strengthened my testimony.  I always wonder about visitors/inactives that do the twice a year visit to our Chapel.  Are they reminded of the Birth, the Miracle of that Sacred Birth and the wonder of it and how it can impact their life?  Are they equally impressed by the Miracle of the Resurrection?  the atoning for our personal sins and transgressions?  Does that Easter service cause them to rejoice?  Come into the Church, by joining?  Come back, if they left?

I shrivel inside when Christmas or Easter gets short shrift and is mentioned in passing and even at that, it sometimes take a magnifying glass to see the miracle of each of those Seasonal events, on those 2 Sundays.

Can't we have a Cantata or a mix of beautiful music by a Ward Choir?  Can't we have a program?  We don't do pulpits aflame with votive candles....or life size crucifixes hung on the wall...or Easter lilies and bows adorning each pew.  But can't we do Music & The Spoken Word?   I don't mean the TV show.  I mean our own thing.  Pure heavenly music and pure scriptures and latter-day Prophets thoughts and our own Ward people, totally inspired by the Holy Ghost...feeling the Spirit and sharing that feeling so it grabs my heart as I'm reminded of the meaning/purpose/importance of those 2 events.

Even weaving our dozen Easter hymns in between appropriate scriptures and quotes would make me feel like I celebrated Easter.  Yes!...I know I'm there to take the Sacrament and that is the main purpose and I did and I was worthy, in a repentant/thankful state of mind, at that initial point but honestly as the meeting went on, I felt a need to repent and have the Sacrament passed again.  A nibble would not suffice my inner grumblings.  I needed a loaf of French Bread.  A Subway super loaf?  I am so bad!!!  I want the Sacrament to be the first taste of a great Spiritual food to come.  Not Oopsie...is that a bad taste in my mouth?

Can't Sunday School also be thought out, schedule wise, and use the manual as either a first or 4th or even 5th lesson?  Could we do special lessons about the purpose of the 2 days, Easter and Christmas--Celebrating the Birth and the Resurrection of Jesus Christ...counting our blessings as believers and members in the Church etc. etc.  I don't want to hear the regular lesson.  I'm such a rebel.  Am I old enough to be considered grumpy full time?  cantankerous?

The day was saved!!!  Ah, yes...My Society offered Relief!!!  Through a communication mix-up the RS didn't think they were teaching (5th Sunday) and sweet Julianna, a RS Counselor, stepped in and brought Easter home!!  Home-run!!   Teaching by the Spirit!  talked about the Savior and His Sacrifice and His Atonement and how it impacts all of us as a group and then personally as individuals.  Even thought to hand out Gospel Principle manuals and used the lesson on the Atonement.  She found out in the Chapel that she'd teach and walked down the hall and did it!!!

So I have two things to repent of.  or is it 3?  Sac. mtg. & Sunday School--judging both of those and then--envy.  I am envious of my good friend, Tamera,  who shared.....

I love, LOVE this time of year. I love the joyous hymns we sing at Easter. I love the knowledge that atonement is for us all, and for me personally. That Jesus Christ lives. When we moved into our new ward we joined the choir! Me, in the choir- the only reason I joined the choir (certainly it isn't because I can carry a tune) so I can sing the songs of the seasons! It always seems that at Christmas and Easter only the choir gets to sing the wondrous songs of joy.

I would love to sing in a Ward Choir.

Confession-
 42 Behold, he who has arepented of his bsins, the same iscforgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more.
 43 By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will aconfess them and bforsake them.

So I'm telling you my sin!  It was bad enough to think it and find fault and then to compound things... I tell you!  My confession though has made me feel better in some strange way.  I won't ever do that again.  I will try.  No need trying to cut myself some slack.  It wasn't nice of me to do it.  It isn't nice of me to tell it.

Yes.  If I was asked to do it...I'd gladly plan either Sunday as a lovely program.  Does that make it any more acceptable?  A plausible excuse?  within reason?  Not really.

I best start pulling this foot out of my mouth!!

Me hushing....Shhhhh.

One more thing...a nice thing.  If you perhaps need a bit more Easter then look at this....

Easter


No comments: