Thursday, April 25, 2013

A step into today's world!!!

So much going on around here that I feel like I'm out of balance!  trying to get settled down.  I really like to have lots going on (well, lots by my definition and that might make others feel...is she even moving at all?  any sign of life?? take her pulse!)  Things have changed in very subtle ways since Terry's stroke and I'm adjusting to those details.  I need to step up to the plate and do more.  He is still in recovery mode strength wise.  He just went to his Sunday full 3 hour block and now it's on to getting stamina for going to Temple.

We totally count ourselves 100% blessed.  Not complaining.  Just changes and adjustments that don't feel totally familiar.  Yet.  Enough of that chatter.  It's our reality right now.

Reality.  Loved having our son home.  Girls seem to always come home to see parents.  Boys...not so often.  I love that our son wanted to come home.  I know he wanted to check on his Dad and be reassured that he's doing okay.

He and I didn't get to go to Temple because he forgot his white shirt and his Dad's doesn't fit him.  He ended up wearing a colored shirt to Church and I was glad he went anyhow!  He's a wearer of the white Church shirt as his Dad so that was out of his comfort zone.

It was great to have our 2 oldest children with us.  Unlike the mayhem/fights when they were boys...they were civil/friendly/loving and have ended up great grown-ups!

Big news at our house are these little gems.....his and hers...beauties.....


I thought I was so modern with email and had no intention to ever go anymore into this century.  Then I did my blog (by the way...thanks for being a reader!  It means so much to me to be able to visit with you!) and that was it!  Then I tried FB and that did not settle well with me and gave me indigestion with lack of privacy so I phased out of that.  Actually FB cancelled me because they thought I got hacked.  so I check to see FB pictures but not much else.

Paper is my love.  right next to words--I LOVE words/writing.  I love reading and turning pages and feeling the book or paper in my hand so that was all the modern I had in me...email and my blog.  But then, vanity?  pride?  envy? or was it sensibility?  gratitude?  a monumental step like the first step on the moon?  Practicality?  I'm not sure but this I am sure of...I just love my pretty little tablet with it's wonderful stylus!  I think a part of being sold on it was studying on LDS. org and researching something and it was amazing how much information I could access and how fast it was.  I was smitten.  Also being last in class to find a scripture!  That was irritating-- by the time I turned to it, the teacher was way past the reference! 

I knew my mid-80's Idaho friend, Kathryn, had received a tablet for Christmas and I wondered how she was enjoying it.  I called her and she said she carries her room to room, in her wheelchair, and wouldn't be without it! 

Kipper took me to shop and I got it!  Kipper got me all set up and taught me basics. Terry absolutely cringed at the thought and with Norwegian stubbornness dug his heels in and refused to even peek at one.  not even mine!

Then Greg arrived and as Terry continued his stand-off, Greg walked across the room with my little dandy and said....Dad, touch this key and see what happens.  When General Conference was there before his eyes?.....he was holding it in his hand?....well, a-shopping we did go!

Greg then held classes for us each day and taught us how to access Church sites etc.  he would give us tests. It was not easy for Greg (or us!)
teacher teaching ....student working on assignments!

Terry is sort of like one of those reformed people that is now totally in salesmen mode on the merits of today's technology in devices like his!!  He even took his tablet to Church on Sunday!!  AND he used it!

I visited another Ward and took mine also.  Greg did put a wild picture of his teaching face on mine and I need to have him tell me how to get it off.  Mine turns on and there is this crazed looking creature, all eyes and furled brows and nostrils.  like a fire-breathing frustrated dragon.  I did not like saying ...Yes.  That is my son.

What a marvelous world to live in and the technology is so amazing!  The Church is just heaping reams of information/inspiration for us to have in our lives.  My goal is to really learn how to use my gadget and stay current.  I so appreciate my tablet!!! 

No comments: