Thursday, April 4, 2013

No Sense/Nonsense--just OUR Normal!

Sometimes I think we don't have a grain of sense between the two of us.  Not even a single grain!  I don't know if it's the weather, the spring colors or just 2 seniors having a moment that borders on lunacy?  He needs to build stamina.  Anything he does, any physical action, is considered therapy and will help his brain and the movement etc. will increase fine motor skills.  So we decide the ideal project to get him out of the house, something to work on, something creative, fresh air etc. is gardening!!


I think gardening would be fine if we'd been doing it all along.  I wasn't raised gardening.  We didn't live in the Matanuska Valley/ Palmer area when I was a child.  We were in Anchorage and not one of my parents friends had a garden and no one talked of it.  Years later it was a different story but not in my brief childhood.  Really- that is neither here nor there.  There is such marvelous produce here and I have friends that generously share their bounty and a fantastic nearby produce stand.

I admire the gardeners and love to hear Shannon talk about her love of gardening and know she could live in her garden and be happy.  Celise just brings a smile to my face when I hear her talk about her garden with it's happy bugs and worms. I love to see her little ones with their outdoor healthy look.   And her sweet Mother-in-law, MaryLynne, and all that she does with her garlic.  The list goes on and on in our Ward gardeners- with the likes of Emma...a new baby! and yet she's out there doing her thing!

These gardeners are young, experienced, and know their stuff.  Terry thinks he knows a lot about growing things.  I know that I know nothing much and I'm suspicious on his self-professed encyclopedic data that he is so sure of. 

That being said, and yes, he has planted some things in the past and had some success.  On the amount of success, on the judgement bar being Major or Minor...the jury is still out! I've grown flowers at different times and I ususally do cherry tomatoes and for a long time I had golden raspberries galore but that is the extent of my attempts at gardening.

So in the midst of all our perpetual mess, of one sort or another, we are now going to garden.  Try.  We are going to try.

He is going to grow veggies and I'm going for some flowers and fruits.  Surely we could have dug a hole and just put a seed in but oh, no....we decide to do more work than that....although at this time everything, planning wise is in our minds, we do have some things to get us going.....

Two potential raised beds (sensible amount!)

One potential visqueen-like walk-in Greenhouse

Potential greenhouse coming to life!
Potential Greenhouse taking maze-like shape!
Potential homes for blueberry plants (nesting in pristine past garden area!)

Blueberries  awaiting release from garage clutter to more into their new homes. (ready to eat in 2-3 years!)

Fantastically beautiful Ranunculus flowers needing to be put in a pot!

Flowers that I took pity on and thinking I can rescue them!!  (ever the co-dependent!)

available strays strewn all over!
My style!  Phony baloney flowers that are dust covered/un-arranged!
Long handled Dandelion Digger!!  Brand new! Never used! (salad greens. bush tomato. in box)

Victims await their dreaded fate in a field of fellow dandelions!
This is not a practical venture but we will try to get this plane off the ground and into the air.

                                                                  Terry is my hero!!!
My very own gardener! 
***************************************



Doctrine and Covenants 28:2, 6–7; 43:2–4. (We receive revelation according to our stewardship and responsibilities.)

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught, “It is contrary to the economy of God for any member of the Church, or any one, to receive instruction for those in authority, higher than themselves” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 21).
Shortly before his call as an Apostle, Dallin H. Oaks explained: “Our Heavenly Father’s house is a house of order. … Only the President of the Church receives revelation to guide the entire Church. … The person who receives revelation for the ward is the bishop. … Individuals can receive revelation to guide their own lives. But when one person purports to receive revelation for another person outside his or her own area of responsibility—such as a Church member who claims to have revelation to guide the entire Church or a person who claims to have a revelation to guide another person over whom he or she has no presiding authority according to the order of the Church—you can be sure that such revelations are not from the Lord” (“Revelation,” New Era, Sept. 1982, 45–46).

No comments: