Friday, March 29, 2013

Soapbox---Birds & Bees

What do each of these things have in common.....

Button Hole/Button--Pegboard--Jigsaw Puzzle--the game Aggravation--nuts and bolts--Game of Golf--filling up your gas tank--garden hose--fuse breaker boxes-- plug ins--closing bottle of nail polish--Batteries in car or flashlight--cables to computer/phone/TV--pipe fitting--cell phone chargers--changing light bulbs--clock hands--stove knobs-- etc. etc.

The commonality?...they all have what is commonly called a male and female part.  Ever been to the lumber store or Home Depot and have someone tell a clerk, while holding/showing a small item in their hand....I need a female such and such. or I need a male so and so?  The part needed, the complementary part is found and the customer goes on their way.

Nothing on that list, and it is endless if you think about it, can complete the task it's destined for, without the part that completes the other and makes it whole.  Nothing will hold and be tight and secure without that other half.  You cannot take any singular item off that list and duplicate it and have it work.  2 identical parts will never accomplish the desired result. The male part and the female part in each of those inanimate objects is essential, absolutely necessary, to accomplish the designed purpose.

Same in all areas of our life.  Even in nature.  Each is to duplicate themselves in the same way they were- be they animal, fish, fowl etc. etc.  A male and a female was needed to accomplish the deed.

Flowers and trees and all the glorious vegetation operates under that same rule...Male and female.

It's a mandate.  From the creation of the world.  From God.  

There was such careful Godly preparation in the creation of the world, with all of it's interdependent intricacies, all for our challenge and comfort.  Life is based on choices.  Everything was created but man was the recipient of that careful thoughtful planning.  After it was all done, mankind could choose- how to use it wisely or foolishly abuse it- on his own individual mortal trek.

In Genesis we find in chap 1 & 2 that Adam was given the responsibility, the choice of what to name the living creatures.  God gave everything to man to have dominion over and charged all of creation to multiply and fill the earth.

And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

Note the word I.  In this Adam had no choice.  He had no input.  It was God's plan.  God did not create another man and a woman, present them and tell Adam....Your choice.  Which do you feel more inclined to be with?  Who do you want for your help meet?  This was a part of the plan and the way that the earth would be peopled and it was possible only through the union of a man and a woman.

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.  

I can imagine Adam rising to the occasion and standing out of respect, honor and happiness at the prospect of sharing his life with his own helpmeet.

As a Bible believer, I am very comfortable, without apology or need to defend, that this is the way it is to be...Men and Women marry, each other, and have children.  

Lust, including homosexual tendencies and actions, are in the scriptures and we are warned about it.  The very things we are seeing happen all around us are truly signs of the times.

Paul describes the apostasy and perilous times of the last days—The scriptures guide man to salvation.
2 Timothy 3:1-5
 This know also, that in the alast days perilous btimes shall come.
 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, acovetous, boasters,bproud, blasphemers, cdisobedient to parents, dunthankful, unholy,
 Without anatural baffection, ctrucebreakers, dfalse accusers,eincontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
 aTraitors, bheady, chighminded, lovers of dpleasures more than lovers of God;
 Having a aform of godliness, but bdenying the power thereof: from such turn away.
 

Rom. 1:26 (26–28)
26  For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27  And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28  And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;  


So here we are seeing all sorts of things going on and realizing that we can look at just these few verses alone and recognize them in our everyday world.  We are surrounded by it!
*****************************

Sometime in the late 1990's we were serving in the Young Single Adult Branch and I well remember a RS meeting although I don't recall the lesson.  I think it was about marriage.  I shared that when the Family Proclamation was given that I thought it so basic and obvious that I was surprised they stated...Marriage is between a man and woman....Well, of course it is.  We all know that!  I said-- as the Gay movement had started picking up that I could see why they had spoken so precisely.  so deliberately.  so frankly.  

Right about then, the sister of the gay young man that is my friend, started actually yelling at me and said I hated her brother and I told people about him etc. etc.  I was stunned as was everyone else.  I  gently told her that wasn't true.  She knew I loved her brother.  I'd never spoken against him.  Anyhow it was awkward and embarrassing but things calmed down.  That made me realize that the Family Proclamation totally spoke against homosexuality without specifically mentioning the subject and gays would not like it.   

I belong to the Church because I have a testimony it is true.  I expect the leaders to receive revelation, because the heavens are not closed, and I fully expect and want guidance and  that includes  a moral code.  

Legalizing something does not make it moral.  Legalizing sin does not mean the Lord now accepts it as His law.  

My young gay friend thinks that this will just blow over....It's just a wave that will recede.  I told him....I think you gays will win this time.   

Hopefully he is right and I'm wrong but what if I'm right?  I reread the Family Proclamation and it had more power to me than ever before.  The Proclamation is to the WORLD!  At General Conference and at several recent Ward Conferences, I raised my hand to let all that looked, see that I sustain the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles of the Church as Prophets, Seers and Revelators.  In the very first paragraph those 15 men, identify themselves as the Church leaders and Solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

I was surprised at how detailed and specific the entire document is keeping in mind the happenings over the last few days.


My heart sunk when I first read...   
Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

Then I felt so thankful that we have been warned.  We've had 18 years to absorb this inspired document and there is lots of guidance to be put into effect in our families. 

*******************************************

                                                 a smidgen of birds and bees talk....

the Family Proclamation reads.... God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

Handbook 2 states....
21.4.4

Birth Control

It is the privilege of married couples who are able to bear children to provide mortal bodies for the spirit children of God, whom they are then responsible to nurture and rear. The decision as to how many children to have and when to have them is extremely intimate and private and should be left between the couple and the Lord. Church members should not judge one another in this matter.
Married couples should also understand that sexual relations within marriage are divinely approved not only for the purpose of procreation, but also as a way of expressing love and strengthening emotional and spiritual bonds between husband and wife.
***********************************
I have tried to copy the Proclamation here and I'm not having any luck.  You most likely have one nearby so enjoy reading it.  You are in my prayers as you take care of your precious children and teach them truths of the Gospel. 

No comments: