Monday, November 26, 2012

Food Room Saga

The "food room" is now mouse-less.  Note the trap set and sitting just waiting to snap at any fool hardy rodent daring to enter the shelves of bounty!  In our Alaskan life we always had a food room as did everyone we knew.  Traveling to Anchorage a couple of times a year to stock-up was the norm.

Ours was an actual room that was kept stocked like a grocery store.   A big freezer.  A center shelf you could walk around and access from both sides.  Wrap around shelves special built with the bottom shelf tall enough to give headspace for the many 5 gallon buckets placed on floor- assorted grains, beans, flour, honey etc. etc.  When we moved to Stateside civilization, and our current abode, there was no such room.  Not even a garage!

I had gone to Boise, one time,  to help my parents and when I got back, as a surprise for me, Terry had built our current food room!  Brilliant!  He built shelves on one bedroom wall.  (The bedroom that visiting family stays in.)  From the window wall to the door and from floor to ceiling and 24" deep.  24" is actually to deep but I'm not complaining a bit!  5 shelves and the bottom tall enough for buckets, to clear, should we choose.

Clever man that he was- he put 4 doors up and wallpapered them, to match the room he'd just wallpapered.  (NO.  I don't rent him out.  He's not for hire.  It's all about love and longevity of marriage!)  It's a huge amount of space but we can never have enough, it seems. 

His creative handiwork!!!
I so enjoy my food room.  2nd door from left. on floor.  see tiny trap guarding door?

Olives anyone?


Speaking of food and storage.  Eventually we built a garage and oh my, yes-sir-ee, we have a food room cordoned off and filled with things that we feel essential to sustaining life!!  Much like our giant can of olives.  Okay.  Terry is more practical about this than me.  So I do go overboard.  But he goes overboard on other things like Coleman stoves etc.  so it evens out.  As I said before, we are obedient in food storage!!  True it could be wiped out in seconds but that's okay.  I believe we will be blessed because we did it and should the need arise,  if you didn't lose yours, then I'm bringing my sleeping bag, roll up mattress, Coleman stove (maybe both of them!) and I'll eat with you.  If we all do our part and are willing to share then we will make it.

Our children will store gasoline and just come home!!!  As will our Grandson!!  They all laugh at us but hey!  didn't they do that snickering with that ark building story in the OT?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: