Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Let there be Light

We moved ahead!  The tree was attacked first thing, a hearty battle with he and tree,  and he ended up putting some new lights on and we called it good.  Looks lovely.  ready for ornaments, bows, beads.

Tomorrow is hanging ornaments on the garlands, finishing tree,  and putting outside garlands on the porch.

Saturday will be here in a flash!!!

Tree!!  You have met your match!!
Ta-dum!!!

Garlands are hung all over the place!  Dining area....

and living room...
and over bookcase...

and beam....

everything seems lit up!!!
We enjoy greenery and small lights, all white!  We like them on the tree and on all the garlands!  The garland that will go over the mirror above will have some special small candle lights.

Christmas lights are a very important part of celebrating the Saviors birth.  He proclaimed Himself as the Light of the world!  We are to let our individual light shine through our gift of the Holy Ghost.  Today as we were working with so many lights, and everything came to life as cords were plugged in,  I thought of two incidents that have impacted my life. 

1) One was my wonderful Baptist Sunday School teacher, Mrs. Billie Koestner. I really knew nothing about her except I knew she loved the Savior, or as she called Him, my Savior. She never missed a Sunday it seemed.  She weekly sang the song below- with some hand movements. Sometimes she'd sing it several times in a row....      

This Little Light Of Mine Hymn

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Won't let Satan blow it out.
I'm gonna let it shine.
Won't let Satan blow it out.
I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Let it shine til Jesus comes.
I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine til Jesus comes.
I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine. 

Hide it under a bushel - NO! 
I'm gonna let it shine. 
Hide it under a bushel - NO! 
I'm gonna let it shine, Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine. 

Let it shine over the whole wide world, 
I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine over the whole wide world, 
I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

 Luke 11:33 --"No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light." 

Matthew 5:14-15--"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

2) A couple of decades ago we had a family tragedy that caused such pain and heartache for me that I wondered if I would ever recover my inner equilibrium.  I personally feel there are life experiences that are worst than experiencing the death of a loved one. I was in the midst of one  This was agony to me. It happened about this time of the year. I knew that my testimony was still intact in spite of the happenings and uncertain future of the outcome of all that was challenging us.  My devastation just broke my heart.  I couldn't hold myself together very long. Christmas and celebrating and decorating were not on my to do list.  Survival and not having a breakdown was what I hoped for.  

Something within me pulled/pushed me to purchase and put up a tree indoors, tie bows on a real tree outside and hang the lone garland we had.  Not to long after that was done, within the first 2 weeks of December, a sister said to me... how sad to have this happen at Christmas season when everything is decorated and people are so happy. You will always be reminded each year of what you have suffered.

I knew she was sincere and concerned and cared about me but it didn't feel good to absorb those words.  I felt myself tear up and then I told her what I'd learned...

I love things that are symbolic.  The decorations reminded me of the fact that Jesus Christ was born.  Because He was born, and I truly believed He was, my life was very blessed in many ways.  Christmas is about hope.  Every single Christmas light was a personal reminder to me, a symbol, of the Savior.  A reminder to me that because of His Atonement He would help me.  Shelter me.  Walk with me.  Encourage me.  My heartache, my anguish,  came at the perfect time of year.  It could not have been at a better time.  No matter where I looked I saw lights.  Christmas lights.  There were lights on trees and yards and porches and eaves and glimpses into houses showed lights.  There were lights in stores and on TV shows and commercials. There were lights on the annual Christmas broadcast on TV.  Pictures of lights on Temple Square.  Everywhere I turned I was facing light.  Healing and strengthening Light.   

It was a long journey with a lot of heartache but that initial feeling/healing of being bathed in Christmas lights, sustained me and got me through a part that I thought would destroy me.

20+ years later and I remember that time. My heart, with that sorrowful remembrance, etched as a faint line of scar tissue,  has gratitude for answered prayers and the miracle of personal application of the Atonement.  It was a long siege.

In our little house we can never have to many lights!  Symbolic reminders that He is the Light of the world.  Our world.  Your world. My world.

                                                

No comments: