Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Story of Sweetness

These had sat on the table by the door since April 1st as a requested purchase after the General Woman's broadcast.
7 packages of semi-sweet chocolate chips from Cash & Carry
All of my blog readers know that I have a chocolate stash in my dresser drawer.  A friend checks my personal stress barometer and if she feels it needful she will bring me a little jar of top quality chocolates.  each sort of shaped like a very fancy chocolate chip.  I have no idea where she buys them but she is my supplier without me even requesting them.

My dear friend Myra Faye liked, no she loved semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Our Ward used to have a sister that ordered Ghirardelli chips for making Christmas Candy and Myra Faye would order from her.  In a rather large amount.  several pounds.

I have no idea what year I became her supplier and engaged in intrigue and cunning ways to hide it from the world that she had a chocolate chip habit.  When she drove she would usually buy her own and secret it away.  When Bob retired and they shopped together it became a bit more challenging to buy several bags of chips and never make cookies or candies.  So what are friends for?????

MF-Next time you shop would you pick me up some chocolate chips? 
Me- sure.  one or two?  
MF- Ten.
Me- Ten?

A Sweet Story aka Discreet Sweet-Tooth

(Pictures provided to illustrate the truth unfolding)
I took her requested chips to Bob.  He was puzzled!
I had seen her cup on the cupboard!
 I asked him when he found out and he said the week before she had asked him for some CC and he put some in that cup.

Uh-huh...a few chocolate chips.  That is how she ate them.  A few at a time!

Natural Psyllium Fiber?  NO.  this is where her stash of  CC was kept!
The bag with melted chips at bottom that I tried to hide as Bob was coming into the house!

The few I got sprinkled in before I was nearly caught!

My last CC run delivered to Bob!

At different times I would have a single bag up my sleeve or in my jacket pocket or in my purse if I couldn't bring a full delivery!! 

One afternoon when she was still talking, I was with her while Bob went shopping.  She'd been bed-bound for several hours and decided she wanted to get out of bed and sit up.  So we did that.  I asked her if I could get her anything and she gave me this sort of look with a clue and said...well, uh, just a few chocolate chips.  Just a few.

I then remembered that I'd brought one bag with me of the 8 I'd purchased for her and left it in the car!  I'd been there for a couple of hours or more and it was pretty hot out.  I told her and dashed out of the house, grabbed the bag that felt very warm, hustled in, opened the cupboard and grabbed the stash can from the lazy-susan.  I opened the bag, sprinkled a few on the counter and started filling the can.  I could see that there were quite a few melted at the bottom and was trying to get them out.

I Love Lucy moment as the door opens, Bob steps in and says nonchalantly...hope you found what you need.  I'll be back.  I'm going to unload the car.  

I crammed the entire bag in the can, whisked the loose chips off the counter, zipped down the hall, stage whispered- Hurry!  Bob is home!  She tossed the chips in her mouth, brushed her hand across her front, wiped her mouth and said--Do I have chocolate on my face?

She and I laughed ourselves silly!

The next week when I spent an afternoon with her she was not talking but I knew she was aware of what was happening.  I told her--I told Bob yesterday about the chocolate chips as he needed an uplift. He enjoyed the story.

He and the boys had spent that afternoon taking care of lots of details so it was good to have a bit of a break.  I think it was Steven that asked...are we baking lots of chocolate chip cookies?  and Bob said...there is quite a story about these.

I have no idea if he told them or what happened but I know for a few minutes that Bob was chuckling and enjoying the antics of his sweet wife.  His Myra Faye. 

And now you know the story of mystery, intrigue and the sweetness of friendship.


 

No comments: