Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Putting things aside....

Apologies right up front...somehow or other I can't get this aligned.  Sorry.

I've listened to President's Nelson talk a few times just trying to figure out how to do what he is asking and exactly what is he asking???  It seems to me that there is so much in it, and the other talks, that I need to figure out my plan and go for it.  I'm pretty much isolated from things of the world in my thinking and I thought about his sentence...
Part of this endeavor will require you to put aside many things of this world.  
Also he said...You will need to say no to some things, even though they may seem harmless. .
and I thought what can/should I put aside?  After a lot of thought I decided to unsubscribe from a NYT email that I get on a regular basis.  Headline news.  I know the NYT is liberal but I just read the headlines and then chose what I wanted to read about.  I didn't read the entire
huge paper just sort of glanced at the headlines but I decided to do away with that one little thing.  
Turns out it wasn't one little thing.  Turns out I ended up canceling from the NYT several items!...Daily Briefing/Top Stories/Breaking News/10 free full length articles a month/Morning Briefing/Well.  Each of these had all sorts of things to be accessed!  Some had 40+ items!  I really liked Well.  The current Well had at least 20 articles!  and there were several I was tempted to just stop unsubscribing and start reading about the danger of baby powder (and I'd already read about that a long time ago!)
I also canceled 2 People.com segments...People- Royals and People- Breaking News.  Each of these I enjoy but they do take me down a seemingly bottomless rabbit hole!  It's sort of upper crust voyeurism?  Cost of gowns and cost of rings and life in Palaces.  God save the Queen as she is not going to have me checking out her latest wardrobe!  and my fascination with fascinators will be curtailed.  Yes...I'm free to re-subscribe to any of this at anytime I choose but for now...buh-bye.
I did choose to keep Simplify Magazine and State of Faith by Kelsey Dallas on the Deseret News.

here is a part of that talk from President Nelson....
Your personal spiritual endeavor will bring you joy as you gain, understand, and use the power with which you have been endowed.
Part of this endeavor will require you to put aside many things of this world. Sometimes we speak almost casually about walking away from the world with its contention, pervasive temptations, and false philosophies. But truly doing so requires you to examine your life meticulously and regularly. As you do so, the Holy Ghost will prompt you about what is no longer needful, what is no longer worthy of your time and energy.
As you shift your focus away from worldly distractions, some things that seem important to you now will recede in priority. You will need to say no to some things, even though they may seem harmless. As you embark upon and continue this lifelong process of consecrating your life to the Lord, the changes in your perspective, feelings, and spiritual strength will amaze you!

No comments: