Monday, October 14, 2019

Paring back!

 Good morning!

In my desire to evaluate how I'm spending time looking at things and how many things are stacked in the seemingly invisible pile of  things in my limited world of technology...I'm surprised!  Surprised at how I proclaim that I am not techy!  True I do not know the inner working of computers and data and fixing problems and all of that but also true...I know enough to have linked up with so much stuff that I'm really surprised!

In my quest for life simplification...readying myself for whatever is going to be the outcome of Terry's tests (still not certain in that area)...and desirous to follow the Counsel of President Nelson- I decided to see what I was into online subscription-wise that I could eliminate and free up some time... feeling that those one or two things gone would be beneficial for my goal.   To my surprise...the list ended up being at least a mile long!!

I unsubscribed from all the NYT news.

Then I decided to check the one or two Churchy things I looked at.  Another surprise...There were oodles and boodles of Churchy things and a lot of them were very lengthy.

Then I decided to check on the one or two personal improvement things I followed...like Simplifying/downsizing/dejunking... yesiree- same findings!  several and then all of those have highlights that will take me into more sites.

Of course, I did not read every single thing but I did read a lot.  Lots!  I didn't even count my checking FB or email or recipes or the likes. I already know that it too will be overboard!

Feeling to revamp things...I eliminated many of those oodles and boodles and kept a sensible amount for my life.  I want this information to be a part of my life but I acknowledge it was more than a part of my life.  It was consuming way more time in the allotment of hours I have each day.

The long list of things I deep-sixed doesn't amount to a hill of beans to anyone else but it has really been an eye-opener to me.  It has helped me in my effort to revamp my life and create, yet one more time, a NewNormal.  My NN's do not seem set in stone!  Shifting sands is more descriptive.

I've read so much in trying to figure out what I need/want to do and I have little jottings all over the place.  Below are a couple of things that really inspired me.  I hope you enjoy them...AGAIN!!  I keep being drawn back to President Nelsons talk and keep reposting parts of it.

**************  

Am I the only one that goes down rabbit holes that aren't always beneficial in the long run?

Used especially in the phrase going down the rabbit hole or falling down the rabbit hole, a rabbit hole is a metaphor for something that transports someone into a wonderfully (or troublingly) surreal state or situation. On the internet, a rabbit hole frequently refers to an extremely engrossing and time-consuming topic.
************************
President Nelson...here

Part of this endeavor will require you to put aside many things of this world. Sometimes we speak almost casually about walking away from the world with its contention, pervasive temptations, and false philosophies. But truly doing so requires you to examine your life meticulously and regularly. As you do so, the Holy Ghost will prompt you about what is no longer needful, what is no longer worthy of your time and energy.

As you shift your focus away from worldly distractions, some things that seem important to you now will recede in priority. You will need to say no to some things, even though they may seem harmless. As you embark upon and continue this lifelong process of consecrating your life to the Lord, the changes in your perspective, feelings, and spiritual strength will amaze you!
***************************
Elder Uchtdorf  Of Things That Matter Most  -  Oct 2010 CR

There is a beauty and clarity that comes from simplicity that we sometimes do not appreciate in our thirst for intricate solutions.
~~~~~~~~~
My dear brothers and sisters, we would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most.

As we turn to our Heavenly Father and seek His wisdom regarding the things that matter most, we learn over and over again the importance of four key relationships: with our God, with our families, with our fellowman, and with ourselves. As we evaluate our own lives with a willing mind, we will see where we have drifted from the more excellent way. The eyes of our understanding will be opened, and we will recognize what needs to be done to purify our heart and refocus our life.


*********
President Nelson... here
Strength comes not from frantic activity but from being settled on a firm foundation of truth and light. It comes from placing our attention and efforts on the basics of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. It comes from paying attention to the divine things that matter most.
Let us simplify our lives a little. Let us make the changes necessary to refocus our lives on the sublime beauty of the simple, humble path of Christian discipleship—the path that leads always toward a life of meaning, gladness, and peace. For this I pray, as I leave you my blessing, in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: