Friday, December 30, 2016

9 Chapter BlogBook!

Christmas is over and a New Year begins in a couple of days.  I really enjoy getting decorations up by December 1st and this year was on target with all of that.  I also really enjoy having them all down by January 1st and that is also on target for this year!

Realizing I didn't even post anything about our Christmas, and that being another thing I enjoy...well, two things I enjoy...Christmas and blogging...seems strange that I had so much to say that I said nothing!  Now I have a BlogBook in my head.  This will be inappropriately long so just scan through but I do want to end Christmas today and focus on my New Year plans tomorrow.  Maybe this needs to be chapters?  Yes.

Chapter 1- Light 

There aren't as many outside light decorations as their used to be on nearby houses but I still saw lights in windows as I drove by.  I love the lights of Christmas.  Such hope.  Such a reminder of the Light of the World.  I was reminded that right off the bat, in the telling of the creation in Genesis, the first task at the beginning of our earth's birth, was...And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.  And God saw the light, that it was good.  Christmas lights denote such hope.  I still believe that the best time to have hard times is Christmas time...Be it death or hardship or whatever saddens a person.  This was the first Christmas without my sister.  It was lightened and brightened by the promise in seeing the reminder of Christ being The Light of the World through Christmas lights.  Gospel principles seem more powerful...more promise-filled about life's purpose...about Christ's purpose.  Between Christmas lights and Christmas decorations and then the Church pulling the members to remember the reason for the season with the #Light the World campaign...it's been glorious!!! 

Chapter 2- Christmas Eve

Terry had a hard day and early evening found me sitting alone and enjoying the Christmasy feeling...the warmth...comfort...and thinking of my children and their families.  I was melancholy...sentimental and turned on TV.  Nothing wonderful that I could see and then I tried the Hallmark Channel. At some point I'd recorded their shows for this season.  I watched some made for Christmas movie, and here is how tender I was, even knowing the outcome from the start (everyone would end up happy and life would be a fairytale) I sat there with tears rolling down my face.  Tears of happiness over how good my life is (even with all of the adjusting and tweaking at this phase and stage of my mortal experience) and how much I love my family and friends and the Gospel.  I super love MyHubby.

I admit to sitting and watching several of those super sappy sugary unreal, TV shows.  I also admit to
starting some and they were just way to unreal so I flipped them off.

Chapter 3- Gifts

Remember how we gave money for meals to the Gospel Union Mission instead of gifts to our kiddos?  Well, it felt really good when we did it.  The family reaction was sweet and they were happy about it.  Me?  I won't do it like that again.  When it came right down to the wire, after the fact actually, I regretted not sending a puzzle or a game or a gift card for fine dining at Subway.  Something.  Yes, we helped others.  Yes, our family was supportive.  But...it just didn't feel good to me in the end.  I'll not being doing it that way again.  I'll give to both.

Remember our gift?  We were going to get our DNA testing and find out if Terry is really a hardcore Viking.  Well, his kindness got in the way of that, and his concern for comfort and protecting me IF the temperatures dip again and a possible power outage and etc. etc.  So he got this for us!

BIG Buddy!  (not!)
Not what I wanted, needed or am happy about.  It is what it is, folks.  Wouldn't just a fire in the fireplace work?  So, you didn't have the wood ready a few days ago.  We were fine.  We are fine.  Now we can have propane heat for up to 5 hours or so? When have we ever been without power and heat for 5 hours?  Let me think...oh, right!...NEVER!!!  I best stop or this will be a Scrooge moment.  but really...bah, humbug!

Chapter 4- Christmas Decorations

This year was the very basic things and yet it was still ample.  I really did miss our lit garlands and will do my best to get them out next year.  I missed straw by the Nativities.  I guess I missed those couple of little details that makes things pretty.  And some white snow by the little sleigh scene.  There was only one little house and that was one that we leave out year round- reminds us of Homer. 

On that Christmas eve, of quiet contemplation and reminiscing within, I glanced around and could fill in the blanks with memories...lots of houses, lots of greenery, lots more of everything but this year was BabyBearPorrige- it was just right! 

We do love wreaths.  live ones that smell so woodsy!!  Our inside wreath, from one of our boys family, was the more beautiful thing ever!!  it just became so full and lush!!  it was like it grew!

it grew!

this big old non-grow is still a favorite!

I will spare you the pictures I took of individual ornaments!!

Chapter 5- Christmas Baking

This should be non-baking.  I had decided to not bake and make things.  Then I was reminded of the Christmas non-cooked candy that we made a zillion years ago.  My daughter still makes it as do some other friends.  That was inspiring. 

And then came the gift giver friends on mine.  Cookie makers.  Candy makers.  Young Moms with kiddos and still taking/making time to bake and share.  My heart became desirous to make that long ago recipe.  I made sure I had everything on hand.  Would you believe that there was no melting chocolate in Zillah or Toppenish?  That is how late I was!  Using icy roads as an excuse to not go any further and not interested in using chocolate chips...I let it go with a promise to myself that next year...I'm baking/making something and will give it away!  I tell you the love and thoughtfulness in those Christmas treats made them delectable!

You knew that I had a fudge shop at one time?  I mean I do know how to make things!  what was I thinking...to not make anything!!

Chapter 6- Christmas Day

In our life we have the luxury of doing exactly what we want, when we want and how we want.  We had no problem with the challenge of Christmas being on a Sunday.  Sometimes with children it can be a super problem about opening gifts or waiting...or even going to Church.  We were anxious to go to Church.  We enjoy going to Church.  Terry does the best that he can as he hates to miss.  It was tough but he was all dressed and ready and then could not do it.  (pain at times and taking Rx, does take an unwanted toll).  He wanted us to take a selfie with a camera that does not do such a thing!
homemade selfie!  He thinks this is "cute".

ready and set...
and...no can go!

I have been so letdown, in the past, by our Christmas Sacrament programs and lack of a real celebration of the day with music and scripture, that I admit I was going to go to Sunnyside, as they really sing and have a choir and I knew I would love it.  (I've already repented so don't judge me!)  Then, my friend Jane, got called as Music person, and she put together a program and even had a choir and some solos and trios and 2 violins and a flute and a family and the YW and also the YM and the Primary and on and on.  A narrator with a great voice!  The Chapel was packed and our dwindling Ward felt so full and wonderful.  The Spirit was totally in the building!!  It was so strong.  I'm already looking forward to what she will do next year!  Coming after our previously mentioned, Ward Christmas Party/dinner/program, which was the best ever with the true feeling of Christmas...I'm happy...totally feeling joy!

Chapter 7- Children

Our daughter was 12 when we got our last little newborn baby boy.  We had found out that he would be born in 8 weeks.  He arrived on March 4th. She had prayed that he would be a girl and she and I had named him Bonnie. Here is an exchange on FB between them.  I love it.  To have your children love each other as adults is priceless.  Best gift for sure to read this!

Image may contain: 2 people
Jeanee's Nativity

I went on a semester abroad in Israel. Living on a kibbutz, where the building we stayed in had bullet holes outside the windows from the 1968 war. Bethlehem twinkled and glowed at night just down the hill.

My friend Loriann and I had no money but desperately wanted a nativity set carved out of olive wood. We went to Omar's place for "seconds"... where the eyes didn't quite line up and the mouths were sometimes a bit off. We carefully hand picked each piece. They're not perfect but they're beautiful. Every year I unwrap each piece and smile with memories of our time there.
I was thinking of Christmases as a child and how my parents gave what they could. How simple, warm and cozy. One financially difficult year my mom made us quilts and handed us each an envelope of pictures from a catalog of what she wished she could have given us.

And the one where we hand made every gift and Benjy had a rock tumbler loudly grinding in the boot room. Telling us not to look at it, so we would be surprised.

This Christmas will someday be a memory to look back on. I hope it's a lovely one for each of you.

Merry Christmas sister. I love you so much. I remember a box you sent us from Israel where your gifts got stolen and replaced with old clothes. I remember making you tapes of me singing and playing the violin so you could here me while you were overseas and I remember when you came back to the states and I thought I would never let you go. I remember you being so nice to me and me so in love with you that I wished when I got older I could marry you. I still am so in love with you and wished we lived closer. I cried every time you left for college or work or adventure wanting you to take me in your luggage. I remember us having a slumber party in your room every Christmas Eve you were home. You are the best sister ever. I remember us making chocolate chip cookies, and sitting over a heating vent with blankets and walking down our road holding hands my hands were warm and yours always seemed cold. In the end memories are the only gifts that last and I will always remember you

Awww!! You were such a doll. I had such a blast with you and Dave every Christmas eve. I cherish those memories. Seems like a lifetime ago! Sending love to you, Mo and the boys. I'll call later. xo Merry Christmas!



Chapter 8- A Bird

It was time to go to Church and a bird flew into our window.  that happens sometimes as they see through to the backyard and don't realize it's blocked by windows.  He really whapped into it and I saw some down floating as I glanced over.  I went outside and he was just motionless.  I picked him up and reassured him he was okay...that I'd hold him...that I'd warm him up...that he could make it.  slowly he nodded his head.  fluttered his wings.  tried to fly but couldn't.  I figured his wings weren't broken.  Maybe a broken leg?  I didn't know.  I decided to place him on a headband so he could be warm and comfortable, go to Church, and bring young Leea (animal lover/snow shoveler).  After Church she came with me and the bird was gone!

I thought of how we are like that little bird and Christ takes care of us.  Sheep on His shoulder and in His arms and helpless birds in His hand as we derive strength and respite to carry on.  I then thought of my Baptist Sunday School teacher, from eons ago, and this song....

His Eye Is On The Sparrow

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.
"Let not your heart be troubled," His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.
Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.
Songwriters: C D MARTIN, CHARLES HUTCHISON GABRIEL









Chapter 9- End of this blog post!

If you are still here...thanks for making my life happy by allowing me to share my thoughts!


Bonus--pics of Christmas ornaments.  well, some of them!





and we read books.  This year?....nary a one!!





It seems unreal that I could now write about all of these pictures and the memories I have but I will gift you with signing off!!! 

Really---THE END

No comments: