Monday, May 5, 2014

time marches on...

Seth Thomas.  A brand of clocks that my Mother liked.  They were high quality clocks and the two that she bought were maple wood (which was also her favorite).

from my girlhood bedroom
Here is a clock that Terry found at Shopko one year for our/my office.

Oak.  not high quality but wonderful size and I really like it!
Times and seasons on my mind right now.  Gratitude that the Lord is totally in charge of both of these areas of each of our lives.  When I was young I was terrified of death/dying.  In my mind it was so final on not seeing or being with loved ones, which really is no surprise when my Baptist SS teacher let me know that the Bible says...there is no marriage or giving of marriage in heaven.  Eventually, after joining the Church and studying,  I was able to wrap my brain around this actually being true but not in the way my wonderful SS teacher taught/understood it.  All priesthood ordinances, including marriage/sealing, is done by proxy on earth, not in heaven so therefore no marriage or giving of marriage in Heaven is a truth.

It took me a number of years to come to the reality of the random ages that people die.  One real young.  One real old.  One sick.  One healthy.  really good people dying and really life wasters living.

Eventually I realized that it was great that we don't have to make that choice and I understood that the Lord is aware of the happenings.  It brought me peace that has lasted.

President Kimball said we can shorten our life a bit by poor choices but we really can't extend it.

The clincher for me was reading that there is an appointed time to die.

All of our hourglasses have a certain amount of sand and we can try to extend our game time by thumping the glass or tapping it but really, when time is up...it's up.

we are told there is a time to be born AND a time to die.

we are told about proxy work being taught to those that need those earthly ordinances done.

we are told that this is our probationary time to prepare to meet God.

we are told what happens-- where we go when we die.

It's all a part of that Plan of Happiness.  The great plan presented  to each of us in the pre-existent sphere.

Death is a part of life.

I've prepared myself for my friends death.

I've mourned and grieved and wept deeply as that is what happens when we love people.

She has moved on and I must keep moving here.

I look forward to that sociality mentioned in the scriptures.  That will be a great reunion.

While I desired for everything to be cancelled in honoring Myra Faye, in our Ward we were faced with life moving on with long planned events being held. Myra Faye's funeral Saturday morning and then lunch.  Cleared all chairs/tables etc. and 8year old Russel was baptized at 4pm.  Then the beginning of a new marriage.  Fresh from the Temple and honeymoon (sigh) an adorable couple.  Josh and Maddie's reception at 6pm.

The entire day, with all the events, ended up a full wonderful day.

Maddie and Josh

Wendy the cake baker aka Josh's Mom

cakes and guests- Emma & Linda
Chelle & Jenny- refreshment servers

Chelle, Wendy, Jenny

I should have put scripture references.  I will come back and do that.  I'm heading to bed.  A long weekend for sure!

No comments: