Friday, May 16, 2014

A Victory for Amy...

Her family lived in Homer and I was more involved with her older siblings/parents but knew little sweet girl Amy. I have enjoyed watching her strength and how she has dealt with her own adult personal struggles in mortality.

She shared this poem on her FB page and I asked if I might share it too.    Perhaps you know someone, besides yourself, that this might give strength and hope to.  Please feel free to share it.

I remember when she made a one time FB statement, wanted no comments or advice or feedback from anyone-- announcing that she had ended her Temple marriage, had her 4 children with her, youngest not yet 1 year old, and was going to rebuild her life. I have watched her blossom and become strong in so many ways.

Her determination and resolve were so strong that eventually she legally even gave herself a brand new last name!-- Tiare. I thought her new last name meant star. Couldn't remember so checked with her and also was trying to remember how old she was. She sent me this as part of a note.....
 
Tiare means "beautiful flower" and is the name of a type of gardenia that grows in the South Pacific. My birthday is next week and I will be 36. My children are 10, 9, 6, and 3. I have been a single parent for just over 2 years now.

Ember of Life

By

Amy Tiare



My heart beats

But it does not live

I breathe the air

But only to survive

Where has the joy gone?

Where is the hope?

All I know is pain

There are those who say,

“You need not fear!”

“It’s not as bad as you think!”

“Just forgive!”

“Be grateful!”

But they don’t live in my house

They don’t walk in my shoes

I’m withering away into nothingness

I am alone…

I cry out

But no one hears

Or so I think

Someone is watching from a distance

Waiting

Waiting

Wanting to assist

Waiting for me to ask

Can I ask?

Can I reach out?

No!

But I must

The pain of staying has become too great

If I stay, I will die

If I leave, I may die

Why do I still breathe?

Why do I wake up each morning?

Why can’t I just slip away into nonexistence?

It would be easier…

Or would it?

My heart beats wildly

A choice is made

I must reach out

Before the last cooling ember loses all charge

With what feels to be my final breathe

I call out,

“Help! Please!”

Instantly I am surrounded

Hands grasp me from all directions

From places I never knew existed

Whisked away into safety

Hidden away from danger

Spoon-fed until the strength returns

And it does

Slowly at first

Ever so slowly

The nights are long

Days even longer

Weary

Overwhelmed

But safe

The dying ember glows brighter

Beginning to grow

Growing stronger some days

Fading other days

But never returning to what it once was

Always gaining ground

Until one day there is no ember

Now there is a fire

Growing hot

Growing bold

The fire must be fed

Some days I am strong enough to feed it on my own

Other days I must allow others to feed it

One day,

One day soon,

I want to feed others

The way I have been fed

There is the hope

The hope that was once lost

Beginning small

Growing each day

Hope of a better tomorrow

Hope of a better today

Hope of a fire that burns bright enough to help others

My heart beats

It beats with hope

I breathe the air

Wanting to live

A spark of joy

A spark of hope

Today is a new day

With the glowing ember of life.

No comments: