Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Traditions revisited!

It surprises me how easy it is to make a tradition become a part of your life and create great memories.  It took me a long time to figure it out!  It's not the $$$$ value that makes it important nor even validates it as a tradition.  It's the consistency.  The repetitiveness.  IF I were raising my family again, I'd think beyond the Sunday PotRoast, that became an accidental tradition, a family memory, simply because I cooked it most Sundays.  Just like the endless loaves of WW bread I made.  I'd figure out some other things around birthdays that go beyond choice of what the celebrant wants to eat.  Maybe a special plate that is used just for the birthday person?  Something!

Jeanee has brought the girls home each summer since they were 6 months old so I've established some things with them that connect us memory wise.  One is- we always to to Leavenworth and since they turned 5 we've gone to The Sound of Music.  That means we've gone 12 years in a row.  We always get a bratwurst on arrival, look at shops, eat dinner and go to the play. 

The woman that plays the Reverend Mother watches for the girls each year and is kind and good to them.  She has been there every year since we've been going.  Next year is the theatre's 20 anniversary and she will do it again! 

As the girls age and jobs and education enter into their lives then these marvelous summer times will come to an end but we have the memories and that is what life and our association is all about...memories.  For all of us!

Bratwurst  (Yummy!)
Early years picture and last year!

Girls with Rev. Mother, Maria and Captain (they are a real life married couple) after show.

Girls before show.  New set.
New tradition.  Sno-cones!!!  A real hit!

Poor Man's Mush.  a lifetime tradition along with another food tradition--Sourdough Pancakes.  Terry is cook!
  *************************************************************
This year I will endeavor to start a new tradition with my 4 oldest Granddaughters- Britta, Tori, Cassie and Brooke.  We will weekly be in touch with each other via their choice of communication.  The one that caught me off guard was Tori.  She chose to have us use "cursive writing".  At first I protested about my penmanship being dreadful at this stage of life and lack of use....I type fairly fast...maybe type and mail?  Nope.  Cursive it will be.  She will save my letters and I hers.  Next year we will put them together and she will keep the originals and I will get a copy made for me at Kinko's.  Actually I'm really looking forward to my cursive endeavor, now that the shock has worn off!!

Years ago.  many years ago!!  I'd buy pretty boxes of stationary and wrote lots of letters.  I enjoyed it so much.  I have lots of letters of mine that my Mother saved and also my Aunt so I'm thinking Tori will enjoy looking at those next year.

*******************************************************************************
As McCall wound down and we returned home and all others headed to their own abodes...I made my usual over the top self-promise that I will make everyone a quilt and give it to them in two years at our Christmas in July party.  I've said this every year (not our loud!  just my thinker!).  The family has grown to 25.  My vision has lessened. Can I see to thread my sewing machine???  At first it was going to be full size quilts.  With each color carefully selected for the recipient.  Now they are down to lap size and using whatever fabric I have on hand as I have a cupboard full!  This endeavor ranks right up there with dropping my weight to coincide with what insurance  companies say I should weigh and goes along with the Jews hundreds of year old chant...Next year Jerusalem!  There is about as much chance as I will do either of those challenges and I definitely have no inkling of a chance to go to Jerusalem!  And yet I never give up saying I will do these remarkable accomplishments!  Wack-a-doodle for sure!!! 


No comments: