Thursday, August 8, 2013

Long time friends

The family party that started with the arrival of Jeanee on July 11, ended one day shy of 4 weeks, with Jeanee and the girls leaving Wednesday August 7th.  That jet plane boarded at 5:30am out of Yakima and took a part of my heart with those 3 travelers.

Fist of all, I was shocked to see that I didn't say, blog-wise, that I'd be gone and be back around now.  I was certain I'd done that deed.  Maybe I did say it and then kept adding things?  I don't know.  Guess I could check!  I felt it was rude to you readers that are my friends.  Sorry about that.

Where to start?  Things were great!  Great doesn't describe it!  Historic?  yes.  that is a good word.  With the exception of 2 people (Missionary Grandson-Lance and Son-in-law, Scott) all were in attendance!  Quite a feat.  People from Coast to Coast, all making the effort, the trek, like Alaskan Salmon, returning home to our Family.  And what a diverse family it is.

For now I think I'll share a few pictures.  I shared the preparations that Jeanee and I worked on and all were welcomed and received except for one thing...the Christmas ornaments that she made.  As she said...they were an epic failure!!  I agree!  She and I both see humor in lots of situations and this was one.  Remember how she fixed those discs?...cutting and gluing.  When we got to our fantastic Christmas party, I was holding the treasures in a plastic Ziploc...guarding them...protecting them!  She announced about our past tradition when children were home etc. etc.

I handed them to her like jewels and she started passing them out...one by one to each attendee.  It had the effect of sitting around, passing a bowl of mints, and someone passing the bowl (mid-conversation) to the next person.  At the end of the party and cleaning up all the trappings, I saw one on a chair and quickly saved it.  Then I noticed them sprinkled all over the room!  Jeanee and I did laugh about our rejected prize.  The Epic Failure!!!  That was the only one!

Each year when the girls come they always try to trick Madeline and surprise her.  the last few years she has tried to surprise them.  One year she hid behind the pop machine at the baggage claim and went up behind them and said...Excuse me.  That is my suitcase you have.  Screams abounded on that one. For some reason, known only to women young and old,  they have always locked arms in a tight circle and jumped up and down while doing the scream.

This year the girls expected Madeline to meet them at the airport.  Plan A- She would ride out with us and that was the real plan and greet them at landing.  Uh, oh.  Forgot.  No van!  No room!

She told them about no transportation... it would be late... she'd see them tomorrow.  Plan B took form.  Madeline came into our house...dressed in black...sat scrunched down in black chair.  It was so fun and funny.  I lured girls into kitchen real quick to see a pie I'd made for them and then headed them towards bedroom so they would see Madeline when they turned around.  Tori, just literally ran past her in her excitement to go to the bedroom, didn't even notice her!!  Then Cassie saw her and they started the scream going so Tori came rushing back out, to see who was being attacked, and the duo became a trio of yelping and laughing and jumping.  I loved it!!

red-eyes and lots of happiness at Hello!!!

And when it all came to an end (2.5 weeks later) and final good-byes and promises of all sorts filling the air, it was still the same joy and enjoyment and love.

friends since they were toddlers!  This is their Good -bye.


Madeline has this uncanny ability of loving each girl with the same amount of love.  She doesn't favor or pit them against each other.  She loves and enjoys who each one is.  3 is a tough number when you put 3 girls of the same age together.  Actually 3 is a tough number for any age group of children/teens.  The girls are totally used to taking turns.  So they don't bicker over who gets to play with her.  Now they no longer really take turns.  They all 3 equally share their time and spend every minute talking...together.   Did I mention they talk all the time and love every minute of secret sharing and solving of life problems...theirs and others.  They play hard and waste no time.

Their relationship reminds me of the importance of friendships.  With true friendship, I believe, you can pick up where you left off and it's comfy and not awkward.

I love my friends and cherish them.  Those close at hand and far away.  I want to be a better friend and keep in closer touch.  I do know though that even an occasional catch-up time does wonders to all relationships.  That is how our marvelous family time was at McCall.  a bit of heaven.   My heart is just overrun with joy and gratitude.

More on that later.  right now?....I'm tired. 

Life is great, isn't it? 



No comments: