Thursday, August 15, 2013

This is such a neat promise.

In 1971 we were living in Anchorage, still fairly new in the Church, still learning the ropes and the doctrine as best we could.  There was a wonderful man in our Ward that was very close to the Spirit.  (actually there were several and they ended up being the leaders in Alaska's growth in the Church) He always bore a very powerful testimony and I remember one testimony that he shared. (actually I remember two but for today I'll share this one that I've been thinking of lately) He reminded us that tithing was exactly 10% and not a penny more.  When you went over the 10%, even a smidgen (not his word), it then became an offering.  I totally believe that concept.  He then bore his testimony about the power of fast offerings and told that recently President Marion G. Romney had given counsel to double your fast offerings and bring blessings both spiritual and temporal into your own life, plus helping others through the program as outlined by the Church.  I've never forgotten that meeting and the feeling I had.  Recently I thought about that concept.

In the Church we have what is called the law of witnesses.  If an authority quotes another authority or a scripture, it adds to the validity and power of the statement.  The message/scripture becomes stronger and stronger. The scriptures are powerful in that way as prophets will quote prophets and that is true today also.  Frequently we hear an Apostle quote another Apostle.  Powerful witness.

Note in the first quote by Elder Taylor that he quotes President Romney TWICE. He ends his talk with it the 2nd time.  This gives a lot of weight to what was said.  a lot of powerful promises hanging on those words!   

Here are several references over several years, by other leaders, to the promise given by President Romney, that I mentioned.
***********************************************

2 excerpts from talk by Henry D. Taylor, October CR 1974  (entire talk here)

In a recent meeting, President Marion G. Romney gave a message which impressed me greatly. First he said, “It has been, and now is, the desire and the objective of the Church to obtain from fast offerings the necessary funds to meet the cash needs of the welfare program.” And he said, “We can, we ought, and we must do better.” Then from Brother Romney came this comforting assurance: “If we will double our fast offerings we shall increase our prosperity, both spiritually and temporally.This the Lord has promised, this has been the record.”

 I am confident that each of us has a continual need for additional blessings. A devoted servant of the Lord, a member of the First Presidency, has given us the formula, which, if followed, will increase our blessings. Again may I repeat his inspired promise: “If we will double our fast offerings we shall increase our prosperity, both spiritually and temporally.”
****************************************
President Kimball has noted:
“Sometimes we have been a bit penurious [stingy] and figured that we had for breakfast one egg and that cost so many cents and then we give that to the Lord. I think that when we are affluent … we should be very generous and give, instead of the amount we saved by our two meals of fasting, perhaps much, much more—ten times more where we are in a position to do it. I know there are some who couldn’t.” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1974, p. 184; italics added.)
********************************
 a couple of paragraphs by Elder Romney from his 1982 talk-- here
 I remember that a long time ago, over sixty years in fact, when Elder Melvin J. Ballard laid his hands on my head and set me apart to go on a mission, he said in the blessing he gave me that a person could not give a crust to the Lord without receiving a loaf in return. And that has been my experience.
 Be liberal in your giving, that you yourselves may grow. Don’t give just for the benefit of the poor, but give for your own welfare. Give enough so that you can give yourself into the kingdom of God through consecrating of your means and your time. Pay an honest tithing and a generous fast offering if you want the blessings of heaven. I promise every one of you who will do it that you will increase your own prosperity, both spiritually and temporally. The Lord will reward you according to your deeds.
 ***************************************************
 excerpts from Elder L. Tom Perry talk (here)
We have said a lot today about President Romney and what he has declared about the welfare program. Could I add another statement:
“I am thoroughly in harmony with what the Bishop said about our need to contribute liberally to the fast-offerings fund and to every other fund that the Church officially calls upon us to contribute to. I am a firm believer that you cannot give to the Church and to the building up of the kingdom of God and be any poorer financially. I remember a long time ago, over 50 years, when Brother [Melvin J.] Ballard laid his hands on my head and set me apart to go on a mission. He said in that prayer of blessing that a person could not give a crust to the Lord without receiving a loaf in return. That’s been my experience. If the members of the Church would double their fast-offering contributions, the spirituality in the Church would double. We need to keep that in mind and be liberal in our contributions.” (Welfare Agricultural Meeting, 3 Apr. 1971, p. 1.)
 *************************************
quote from Presidents Monsons talk here
 President Marion G. Romney spoke concerning the funding of caring for the needy when he said: “It has been, and now is, the desire and the objective of the Church to obtain from fast offerings the necessary funds to meet the cash needs of the welfare program. … At the present time we are not meeting this objective. We can, we ought, and we must do better. If we will double our fast offerings, we shall increase our own prosperity, both spiritually and temporally. This the Lord has promised, and this has been the record.” (“Basics of Church Welfare,” talk given to the Priesthood Board, 6 Mar. 1974, p. 10.)
 ****************************************************

I love this concept.  My soul has been re-ignited as I read these words and feel their truth, it holds such great promise.

I could go on and on about desiring the promised blessings from Isa. Chap 58.  Our family needs some special help and I would so enjoy an increase of Spirit plus temporal challenges are always hanging around needing resolution.

The Gospel and the promises of such amazing blessings just increases my testimony.  I hope you enjoy what I've shared.  Most especially if you are young and have never heard of it before...  Now you know!

No comments: