Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Stargazer

The Saturday before Mother's Day I was sitting on the front porch visiting with a friend and having a great time.  The florist truck pulled up and the man handed me a florist box with a corsage.  I was startled to see the flower was so gigantic that the box wasn't closed but propped open at a steep angle and secured with a delicate sheer bow.  It smelled heavenly!  Gorgeous color!  But the size!!!  truly it must have been at least 6" across, maybe 8" long and 4"-5" deep.   It had a large amount of looped ribbon and the upward base had at it's pinnacle an unopened pod that must have been 3" long x 1" wide.

Both of us broke out laughing as it was unbelievably gigantic and we started making comments/jokes about it.  It was a beautiful flower!  True it was gorgeous and true it smelled divine but also true- I could not figure out how to wear it.  Saturday night it had a little meltdown and the petals folded downward.  I tried to see if I could wear it and sort of spread it out or something.  No luck on that.  I also wondered about those women allergic to perfume and if this, even though it was natural, would create problems.

When Terry saw it he said ....."FEEEEEEDDDDD MEEEEEE!".   Quoting the line from the musical Little Shop of Horrors, when Audrey the plant, demanded food.  It did look like a gaping mouth!  He made me laugh at that line!

Monday I decided to call the florist, assuming a new hire made it, it was an oversight, and give them a heads-up that this flower, this lily, was not a good corsage flower.  Describe the size etc. Couldn't wear it etc. 

I called and the gal answered and I asked if the call had been a local call or from what State as the card was only signed...The Kids.  I figured it was my youngest son. She assured me it was my youngest son, calling for the corsage, that he always has them deliver for Mother's Day.  (she knows him and personally took the call and made the corsage)  He wanted the gardenia that he usually orders but they were out, no time to order etc. etc. so he told her he wanted something big and that smelled really good.  She told him about the Stargazer Lily but cautioned him it was very large but he felt that would still be fine. 

Behold the Stargazer Lily...... (and imagine it as a corsage!!!) 


 Lily


Lilium "Stargazer" (the Stargazer lily) is a hybrid lily of the Oriental group. Oriental lilies are known for their fragrant perfume, blooming mid-to-late summer. Stargazers are easy to grow and do best in full sunlight. [1] They have a fast growth rate and should be planted in full sun in well drained loamy or sandy soil. When mature, Stargazers can grow to a height of 36 inches with a spread of 12 to 16 inches with 4 to 5 flowers per stem.

Stargazer lily
The Stargazer lily was created in 1978 by Leslie Woodriff,[2] a lily breeder in California. Woodriff called the new cross "Stargazer," because the blooms faced towards the sky. Known for its striking white, red, and pink petals, and heavenly scent, this lily has become a favorite for many occasions. [3]
The ASPCA reports this plant as being toxic to cats. They are said to cause vomiting, lethargy, kidney failure, and even death. Cats are the only species known to be affected.[4]
 **************************************************
She said that next year when he calls she'll tell him and I requested that she not because it is such a sweet loving gesture.  I asked her to remember when making a corsage for me....If you can't close the box lid then consider the flower to big for my corsage!


No comments: