Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Poor/Rich

Who are the poor anyhow?  Am I poor?  Are you poor?  Is it a comparative state of affairs?  If I have more of "everything" than you-- am I rich and are you poor or vice versa?  Is being poor even about things/stuff/objects/money?  Does the way I dress mark me as poor?  My old van?  My education or lack of such?  My grammar or table manners?  And switcheroo on amounts, getting into excess- be it jewels/house size/acceptable brand names on all objects I use or wear or even eat- does that make me rich?

If less is more then how can I be poor?  Is this one of those comparing apples to oranges situation?  Can I have a lot and yet feel and even be poor in many instances and areas of my life?  Can I have less and yet feel richly blessed and content?

Rich or poor, real or imagined, facts or false judgement, we are all playing in the same sandbox with our Church membership.  And we have to learn to play nice!

The trick is to keep the Spirit by not judging each other, don't you think?  

Being poor I can judge you as to how selfish you are because you don't share.  Also being poor I can be filled with envy and jealousy towards youI can find fault with you on many levels and gossip like crazy about it.  

On the other hand, with me being rich, then I can judge you that you should have made better decisionsI worked for what I have and you should also etc. etc.  (just re-read yesterday's entry for the description of this saga!)

Rich or poor...we are all brothers and sisters.  Children of our Father in Heaven.  Each of us endeavoring to do the exact same thing---return to our Father in Heaven by traveling the same mortal route.  We can treat each other kindly, courteously, share, & alleviate suffering.  Rich or poor we all need a helping hand.

I live in a small place and enjoy it and I feel rich even though some might question that choice of words.  We have sufficient for our needs.  Hmmm... where have I heard that phrase before? 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 In light of yesterday's post on the "poor", I decided to re-post this June entry--Spot of Beauty.  
http://acandlestick.blogspot.com/2011/06/spot-of-beauty.html    
This particular post got a lot of response from readers.  
It just feels right to share it.  


No comments: