Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Visit with a friend...

Monday I spent a bit of time with my friend, Myra Faye.  We have had health things going on here for a few weeks and they have many more, long ongoing health issues, than us.  Not wanting to give her germs or maybe somehow or other pick one up, as I strive to get a clean bill of health on my pneumonia bout, we have talked on phone, but haven't really seen each other very much.

She was in her bed and I was sitting in a chair very nearby and we were talking.  I wanted to help her in some way...wash your face?  comb your hair?  pull the blankets up?  No thank you- on each.

Sometimes it's such a helpless feeling, isn't it, when you would just give anything to make everything better?  And it's even a more helpless feeling when you realize there is not one single thing you can do.

Prayer.  Of course.  But it's that desire to actually do something tangible.  something hands on.  just to show you care.  you feel.  beyond a casserole.

Sitting there looking at her, I was so overcome with love and compassion, even now I tear up.  I told her...I wish right now that I could just scoop you up in my arms and hold you cuddled on my lap.

She smiled and said...I feel that.

I gently stroked her arm and said...I'm glad.

That extreme compassionate feeling , that spot of extreme tenderness, is lodged in my heart.

Wedged in there for the peeking.  Somehow tender and soothing to me.

Now shared with you.

No comments: