Saturday, September 23, 2017

Dinner/Pop/Manuscript

Our celebratory dinner last night, with our first son/first child, was delicious!  Steaks seared/baked in my old cast iron skillet and mushrooms browned to perfection...yumminess overload!  Other things served also but those two items were the winners in my estimation!

We then watched LaLa Land.  What a delightful and interesting and sweet and beautiful movie.  Terry and Kip ended up enjoying it, once the story line got going.  Cleverly written for sure!

One thing about aging, and really being so grown up that you just do what you want when you want to- I told you that we started watching Downton Abby together and we started really getting into more and more.  One day we decided to just wrap things up and finish it off.  We'd been binge watching off and on for days but on this day we just figured we'd do the rest of them and be done.  We figured we probably had two hours left so we started watching at 3pm.  We figured wrong on how much was left...we went to bed at 3am!  Totally irresponsible adults with the luxury of just doing it because we wanted to.  We weren't going to mention it but sharing it here isn't really sharing face to face is it?

************************
Today I will do an enjoyable short time watching the General Women's Conference as the beginning of General Conference.  We will binge watch all of Saturday and Sunday next week plus the extra's inbetween.  We can sit/stand/recline and help ourselves to Lasagna and salad and some sort of sweet nibbling.  I'm just so looking forward to the entire event tonight and next weekend!  Love it!

************************
In the late 1960's in Anchorage I was with a friend and we'd gone to some sort of an exercise club we'd joined, had a huge Atlas figure on top of building.  It had machines you could hook up to and jiggle yourself to pieces and real sauna's and all sorts of paraphernalia for helping us lose weight and get healthy. 

We left our session and went to a place for an ice-cold pop (ever healthy!).  She wanted rootbeer and I volunteered to go get our drinks.  When I came back to the car and handed her the foamy topped rootbeer, she looked at my placid dark drink with it's smooth surface and said...What are you drinking???  Happily I replied...Dr. Pepper!!   

Her reaction was as if I was drinking poison!  She informed me that Mormons do not  drink Dr. Pepper/it has caffeine/it violates the Word of Wisdom.  I was stunned/embarrassed/humiliated and confused BUT I did not drink it.  I loved my Dr. Pepper.  So much!!

Remember, I was new to the Church and it was hard to come into a Church that had so many do's and don'ts and rules and expectations of you.  Later of course I came to realize that she was out of line doctrinally and also in correcting me.

I have watched over the years the guilt that people suffer with drinking even Mountain Dew.  I do believe it's not smart for general health to drink pop but that is my own thing.  Will all those guilt-ridden folks feel some relief?  Probably.  I hope so.

Why am I mentioning this?...because of the new ruling at BYU-Utah... Coca-Cola products will now be sold! It's interesting to see the big stir and controversy over the decision.  60 years ago they banned it and now it's back.  One of the comments I read said...Dew what is right.  (article)

It seems to have garnered more comments and attention than this fact--anonymous donors recently paid $35 million dollars to buy the original Printers Manuscript of the Book of Mormon!!  A bargain even at that, as it's estimated current value is $50-$100 million!  This is a very crucial exciting piece of antiquity for The Church to have.  

Just seems like such a contrast and really, I shouldn't be comparing the 2 subjects but still I find it interesting in the attention and reaction to each.

Now of real interest, very important to me, will be the talks given today.   Let's you and I enjoy a dose of goodness in sisterhood!






No comments: