Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Power of light...

Years ago we moved from Anchorage to Homer.  We ended up down in the woods and could walk up to the Church when the roads were to bad to drive.  It was not easy peasy to drive it or walk it much of the time.  Was it a mile?  I can't remember!  It was far away!

At  the Church I was putting the finishing touches on a classroom to present the first ever Standard Night the next day.  It took a lot of time and a lot of stuff hauling to create the beauty that I wanted.  I worked hours (and enjoyed every minute of it!) 

My 4 children were home and our 13 year old son was taking charge of them. 

Finally I was done and realized it was really late and very dark.  It was dark most of the time anyhow so that was no surprise.  There were no lights anywhere when I stepped outside.  I had a flashlight with me but I knew it would just give a small beam so I decided to stand still and let my eyes adjust to the darkness until faint starlight emerged.

Trudging through the darkness, I was reliving the enjoyment of that preparation I'd completed and thinking about my children at home.  At the very darkest part of the road, a 90 degree turn, and coming to a straight stretch before a curve...a huge brilliant light, held skyward, was coming at me.  I was so startled.  I heard a concerned young voice...Mom?  Mom? Is that you?  I answered...yes!  yes.  It's me!  He said...I was so worried Mom.  You were gone so long.  I thought maybe you were hurt. 

He had made a torch out of rolled up paper, and I forget what else, and uneasy in the dark himself, swallowed his fears to rescue me.  so tender.  even all these years later.  so tender. I remember the hugging and holding him and the thankfulness I felt for such a tender son.

We extinguished his torch and headed into the dark eventually seeing home lights.

In the midst of pure darkness a light never seems brighter.

Our world seems filled with darkness and the Gospel is shining brighter and brighter.  There is so much chaos and confusion and calamities but never has the Gospel felt more peaceful, more safe, more comforting.

Today is election day.  God... Bless America!...Please.




No comments: