Thursday, November 10, 2016

Oh, my...

I still have two more Vignettes and sort of stopped to vote!  Now I'm stopped in my tracks by the reaction to the results of the voting.

So many young people out protesting!  Protesting before the January Inauguration.  What on earth are they thinking will be accomplished????  Did they miss a chapter in school about when the polls close and votes are counted and a winner is announced...then the signs are removed and the ads stop and the dust settles and life resumes.  And we do what we can to help our country to move ahead.  We go to work!  We don't walk and wail!!  It is what it is!  Let's all be adults!  Anger and breaking a store window or burning our beautiful flag is not going to cause any change to the outcome.

Today I was dismayed when I saw a young woman that I know, probably late 20's or early 30's by now, post on her FB-- #Not My President  I felt so bad to know that is her mindset and also I see the faces of other young people and even a high school gathering against the people's choice.

I thought today of how the Church impacts me.  I've learned what it means to be LDS.  I've learned the code of ethics/ the expected behavior/ the importance of covenants.  I've also learned the order in the changing of leadership and what is expected of me.  On those callings I can sustain or object by raising my hand.  It's not going to change anything as far as someone not receiving the calling but my voice will be heard.  I have indicated that I will not sustain or support that individual or I've affirmed that I will sustain/support that person.

The calling that creates the most controversy is the calling of a Ward Bishop and that is followed by the call of a Stake President.  It used to be that these men were called for an unknown amount of time.  Nowadays, I think, a Bishop usually serves 5-6 years and a Stake President for 9 years.

A new Bishop is selected from the Ward Congregation, and I've mentioned before--why people are surprised when someone from the Ward is called is a mystery to me, as who else can it be?  it has to be a Ward member. 

The Ward is filled with humans and we all have our hen house ways!  We are flawed and sometimes we get ticked off and we remember some grievance from days past and we judge and deem them unworthy and maybe we gossip or maybe we cut off our nose to spite our face and say...I will not step foot in the building until he is released!!  Never!

The saving grace of a lay ministry is...eventually they will be released.  They are not a king.

Same can be said of President of the USA...they will be released at some point...either 4 years or 8 years but they will be released. 

Our government is set up in that splendid way.  Nothing is forever as President. 

I have been taught so much about sustaining and supporting people in Church callings.  Unlike politicians they don't campaign but they accept the responsibility and do their best.  Some people do fantastic and accomplish a lot.  Others may slide along or totally neglect what they said they would do but again...they will be released.  Being kind and not judging is a trial and test and growing experience for us as they march along or sit down but it's not forever.

All of this chatter, for me anyhow, leads to feeling the same about elected Presidents.  It doesn't matter, in the end, who I voted for.  What does matter is how I conduct myself after that decision has been announced on the winner. I can work to make my country better whether I'm thrilled or not thrilled with who the President is.

It is actually a part of my religious faith to sustain the laws of the land!...

Article of Faith-- #12 We believe in being asubject to bkings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in cobeying, honoring, and sustaining the dlaw.

Also Section 134  5–8, All men should uphold their governments and owe respect and deference to the law. 

Some wording from that Section 134, totally taken out of the whole, but to make my point...

We believe that all men are bound to asustain and uphold the respective bgovernments in which they reside, while protected in their inherent and inalienable rights by the laws of such governments; and that sedition and crebellion are unbecoming every citizen thus protected, and should be punished accordingly.

Sedition: (a noun) words or actions that make people rebel against the authority of the government.

6 ...and that to the blaws all men owe crespect and deference, as without them peace and harmony would be supplanted by anarchy and terror....

There is so much of worth and education in Section 134 regarding our role in our country.

Well, that is about as preachy as I'll be stumping along, after the fact, on the political trail with it's gates now closed!

I was so in hopes that everyone would be settled down and focus on our beautiful land of liberty and stop the squawking and protesting but maybe this is how government in the last days is going to be?  Silly me...thinking we were going to have a reprieve!


**************************

I share again what the First Presidency said and this will be my guidance in handling the upheaval.

Following the presidential election, the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles released the following statement on November 9, 2016, on Mormon Newsroom:

We congratulate President-elect Donald Trump on his election as President of the United States.

We invite Americans everywhere, whatever their political persuasion, to join us in praying for the president-elect, for his new administration and for elected leaders across the nation and the world. Praying for those in public office is a long tradition among Latter-day Saints. The men and women who lead our nations and communities need our prayers as they govern in these difficult and turbulent times.
We also commend Secretary Hillary Clinton and all those who engaged in the election process at a national or local level. Their participation in our democratic process, by its nature, demands much of those who offer themselves for public service. May our local and national leaders reflect the best in wisdom and judgment as they fulfill the great trust afforded to them by the American people.



No comments: