Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Fun Times!!

When I see pictures of the homeless or people standing on corners or sitting on sidewalks holding signs expressing their need of goods or money...I wonder...do they have a circle of friends?  I value my friends, no matter how involved or un-involved we are.  They add richness to my life with their individual uniqueness.

Sharing life experiences makes for a richness of shared experiences.  Tales when told and relived bring to life our memories.  We don't necessarily have endless memorable experiences but we have enough of the sharing and we then fill the rest in with seemingly ordinary life but it's accentuated by our friendship.

You know that I've tried to be a better friend in reaching out to those in my past and have done a fair job in that task.  A friend recently reminded me, something I already know but somehow feel immune to it!, that staying in touch is a two way street!

Some Alaskan friends recently took a road trip to see people/friends that lived in Homer at one time and are now in Washington and Oregon.  My friend, Pat, is my oldest friend in age and length of time we've known each other.  Jamie and Geneil, are a fantastic couple that we met when they moved to Homer, him fresh out of BYU and taking his first job as the Homer High School Counselor.  He stayed clear through retirement! They now live in Utah.

Pat lives, in a small attached log house to her daughter Lorrie, and her husband, Bruce.  They are in Medford, Oregon.

The driver of the RV was Pat's son Monty.

My heart melted when I saw them!  What joy I felt!

We talked and talked and talked and reminisced about shared times and then got caught up on all the happenings in our individual lives.

It was fun to talk about the strength we gave each other and also the Church things we did in bringing the fullest program possible to our area.  The stretching and growing and challenges of that time are evident with that lasting impact in our lives today.

Terry was Geneils "favorite Bishop".  When she saw him, she sweetly said, as she hugged him...Oh, Bishop!  Terry had a great time that evening visiting.  The next day wasn't so great for him healthwise but he sure enjoyed that night!

Pat is still sharing the story, from what seems a million years ago!, of her dislike of me that turned to love and Geneil said they heard it on their trip...again!  Some day I'll share that saga!  She's even borne her testimony about it!!  We have been friends since late '60's!! 

We talked about when I was choir director and some of those hilarious times (a story for another time!)

All 4 of us had been Seminary teachers.  And we enjoyed that phase of our life.

I was ill-prepared in many ways to have them come visit.  I ended up buying lasagna from Cash & Carry...turned out delicious even when burnt a bit! 

They arrived mid-afternoon and I had planned for evening so I wasn't spiffy like I wanted to be.

The house wasn't fixed the way I felt it should be.

All of this stuff that a Co-d person can bring to life!!

Geneil,  so tenderly made the sweetest comment about loving the feeling in our home and the comfort and coziness of it.  Something like that.  I need to get that written down.  It was just the balm I needed.  She had no idea of my struggling within.  Things have been so extremely hectic here and out of control on so many levels and that was music to my ears!!

I love my old time friends and my new friends and also...you!  Friends that know my heart from reading my blog.  You are loved!

Sweet Pat.  83 years old!!  Me (I hate pictures of me being taken!)

good grief...a cinnamon roll on a plate in my hand??!!  (thanks- Linda White!)


Geneil (precious friend!)  Pat and you know who!

our son Kipper-Geneil-Jamie- Pat

Monty (Pat's son)-The Ballentines and Pat


Jamie and Geneil did several rotations for the Church in going to China and teaching English as a 2nd language.  It was fascinating to hear how they did that and absolutely could not mention the Church or a single word of religion.  I think they went 5 tours- a year each.  I'll have to double check that.  they maxed out and won't be able to go anymore. 

All of you would enjoy my friends!  They are fascinating!


No comments: