Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Anticipation!

I'm thankful that no matter what sort of life experience is going on in my life, be it an upper or a downer, the Gospel stays put.  Firm and sure.  no wavering to any degree.  My mind also keeps being inquisitive and thankful that I love the Church and I have a testimony of it.  I'm a Christian through and through.

Conference time is approaching and I'm on pins and needles about who will receive a phone call/a brief visit/a call extended for their entire life/accept it and devote their energy...right up to death to proclaiming the message of the restoration of the Church!

You know I'm a conference nut and I'm so excited about this upcoming Oct. Conference (oh, I already said that?  sorry!)

The Church is worldwide and to try and keep everyone on the same page with all the different cultures and governments and maintain that purity of doctrine is just overwhelming to even contemplate.  I just revel in the fact that the leaders, under direction of the head of the Church, are able to do this. It really does reassure me that President Monson is currently the President of the Church but...Jesus Christ is the Head of the Church.

Once in awhile you hear someone refer to themselves as nerds/geeks about computer things or other things that maybe the majority of folks aren't interested in or even skilled.  I think I'm geeky/nerdy about the order and selection of leadership in the Church on a general level.  I'm fascinated with the facts of the path these men have trod to get to the spot that they will now serve until they leave this life.  They will not be released except through death.  Their entire life, and their families lives, change. 

That accepting and willingness to step out from the world and the lure of all their success career-wise, give it all up to preach about Jesus Christ is just a rock solid testimony builder for me.  My foundation stone.

I love how Elder Packer shared when they tried to govern a world wide Church and realized the answer was in the Doctrine and Covenants on how to put the 70's in place.  ( I will miss Elder Packer so much.  Thanks to him, and his work on publishing the Scriptures the way they ended up, I could study to my hearts content and understand and not be confused)

Now being all nerdy but...did you know there are 8 quorums of 70's.  The First and Second quorums are General Authorities and they can serve anywhere in the world.  (they are unlimited)The 3rd through 8th Quorums are Area Seventies and each Quorum  are on assignment to a specific place/area. (they have limitations)The Presidency of the 70 are each assigned an area in the USA or Canada.  (I ask...can you contain the excitement you feel right now!?  To be reminded of something so fascinating???)

When Elder Anderson was called as an Apostle he was 64.  At the time of his call he was Senior member in the Presidency of the 70.  He'd been a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy since he was 41 so that calculates to 23 years of service.  Speaking 3 languages besides English he was so valuable in leadership.  I love this sort of trivia because these Apostles are not just randomly selected.  The Lord has moved them around and trained them with all sorts of experiences by the time the call does arrive.  (I'm gearing up for weekend of bliss.  hours and hours of conference.  October 3-4)

Speaking of Elder Anderson...just grab a snack plate or a beverage you enjoy...sit back and absorb this amazing talk!!!  (Should I charge for the joy you will feel as this penetrates your soul???)

Compensatory Spiritual Power for the Righteous  by Elder Neil Anderson--fantastic talk!!  here

******************************

So I know The 12 meet in the SLC Temple on Thursday and each Friday, since Elder Perry 
and Elder Packer passed away, I have checked the Church news...my morbid curiosity...my 
obsession with who will it be???  ready to look them up in my Church Almanac.  to get 
acquainted.  I finally realized...they obviously are waiting until October Conference (but I
 still check! I may be totally off base!)  the real clincher for me was remembering that July 
is their month off so that calmed me somewhat.

One day I found this outstanding  article by the man that is the head of Church Public Affairs.  
He talked about my HobbySubject  and you will love the things he shares!!  Ever wonder 
how much they get paid???  Take a peek!  I mean...I could have told you these morsels of 
info but this fellow has authority so it's TRUTH.

He says....(just paragraphs I pulled from Br. Ottersons address)

Can you imagine what it would be like to be called to the Twelve? In most cases you have 
already had a successful career. You know you will continue to serve the Church in some 
volunteer capacity, but you have begun to think of your future retirement. The First Presidency 
and the Twelve, of course, do not retire. Neither are they released. With their call comes the 
sure knowledge that they will work every day for the rest of their lives, even if they live into 
their 90s, until they literally drop and their minds and bodies give out. Their workday begins 
early and does not end at 5:00 p.m. The Twelve get Mondays off, and those Mondays are 
frequently spent preparing for the rest of the week. If they have a weekend assignment, they 
will often travel on a Friday afternoon. Periodically, even though in their 80s, they face the 
grueling schedule of international speaking conferences and leadership responsibilities.
**********************

Let me share the reality. Not all the Brethren have been businessmen, but most have had extraordinarily successful careers by the time they are called to be an apostle. As President 
Spencer W. Kimball once pointed out, the ability to lead people and an organization is a 
 more-than-helpful attribute in a Church of millions of people, especially when combined 
with spiritual depth and a rich understanding of the gospel. Because several have been 
highly successful in business careers, when they become apostles their stipend and 
allowances may literally be less than a tithe on what they previously earned.
 *********************
What about when they are home? I have the cell phone numbers of most of the Brethren 
because I sometimes have to call them in the evening, on weekends or when they are out 
and about. I’m not naïve enough to think that I am the only Church officer to do so. So 
their downtime is peppered with interruptions. I invariably begin those calls by 
apologizing for interrupting them at home. I have never once been rebuked for calling. 
are invariably kind and reassuring, even early in the morning or late at night.
 *******************************
Their primary time off each year is from the end of the mission presidents’ seminar at the 
very end of June through the end of July. And while this time is meant as a break, most of 
the Brethren use this time to turn their thoughts, among other things, to October general 
conference and preparation of their remarks. During Christmas break they do the same for 
 conference. Every one of them takes extraordinary care and time in deciding on a topic 
and crafting their messages. The process weighs on them for months as they refine draft
 after draft.

read full address here by head of Church Public Affairs- Michael Otterson  (come on!  treat yourself!  read it!)

No comments: