Friday, September 4, 2015

Am I blowing bubbles???

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles (sheet music cover).jpeg
on my soapbox.  again!!
One of the beauts about blogging is you can say what you think about any given subject.  Usually something you feel strongly about one way or the other.  Sometimes you have some life experience in the topic at hand.  Maybe some success.  Maybe things you've learned from your less than successful moments of various life lessons.  All are game!

I sometimes get on my soapbox and have a little rant to clear my mind and make sure I'm giving the world a chance to be saved via my co-dependent, save everyone from everything, mentality.

I'm such a coward.  I spout off and then hide behind my clothesline profile.  Sometimes airing soiled duds or sharing sun-bleached whites.  Today I'm really going out on a limb, sharing thoughts that could break the clothesline!!

The Word of Wisdom.  Yep!  not the poster child for health.  Not the model on the treadmill.  Never leading, much less attending, a Zumba class.  Not running marathons with equally crazed people that get a kick out of such torture.  Nope.  None of those fit a description of me.

Does chubby translate to being lean?  are they synonyms?  probably not as most chubbies largettes super-sized folks are really out of shape.  So no sharing thoughts on physical fitness because-- there is way to much of me to even be seriously listened to on that subject. 

I am a non-successful professional dieter and I've been on almost any diet or diet program (short of surgery) known to man.

So today, boys and girls, I will address my thoughts on the Word of Wisdom!!  Grab a bowl of buttered popcorn and your favorite sugared beverage and prepare to read my thoughts.

Why am I doing this and especially why put myself out there?  It's my nature.  I was prompted because a picture that I found absolutely hilarious & when I read some comments?... there were actually those offended to a degree by the picture.  The picture you ask?...oh, this one!




Awhile back I decided to really look into the WOW.  For years I'd been told you cannot eat grain and lose weight and it's bad for you etc. etc.  For years I wondered...why is it in the 89th Section?  Why are we told to store it as a basic food for survival should the need arise?  How can we tolerate eating something that we've ended up believing is bad for us?   Don't we need to eat, at least some, to get our bodies used to it?  What does grain do anyhow???  It's not in any weight loss program I've been a part of.  Grain doesn't even make it as a steady part of daily eating.

(remember dear reader.  I'm overweight.  I have no more business spouting off about the WOW than dancing on pointe for the Ward Talent Show.)

The above aside being said and letting you know, I'm not an authority on diet foods.  My question was...is the WOW true or not?  With so many, in and out of the Church, finding fault with eating grain or meat...then what gives???  Is it true or not?  I've heard comments for years and now the voices are louder about the badness of grain and eating meat and then myriads of other things that are bad like milk, butter, eggs...not mentioned specifically in the WOW but a topic of conversation.

I always wondered why the Lord didn't tell us how to eat and many times I have heard....to bad we can't eat what the WOW mentions but we can't and be healthy. We'd all be fat.

So it was true at one time and is scripturally mentioned.  It's canon!! Isn't it???

One night in frustration I told my dear HubbyMan, he that has survived my myriads of diet programs and watched me go up in size, I said...Joseph Smith was the Prophet when this was given and no one has removed it/rescinded it/replaced it.  If it was true then...isn't it still true???  grains and all.  Isn't it?

No sense in listing all the types of eating I read about but I did find it interesting to learn the difference between the programs/styles/content of what is being embraced.  Here are a few....



There are various types of vegetarians: Lacto vegetarian, Fruitarian vegetarian, Lacto-ovo-vegetarian, Living food diet vegetarian, Ovo-vegetarian, Pescovegetarian, and Semi-vegetarian.
The majority of vegetarians are lacto-ovovegetarians, in other words, they do not eat animal-based foods, except for eggs, dairy, and honey.


Pesco vegetarians eat fish. A pescatarian, or a pesco-vegetarian, is a vegetarian who also consumes fish and seafood. This is a type of semi-vegetarian diet. Adding seafood to an otherwise vegetarian diet can make it easier to meet your nutrient needs while still maintaining a mainly plant-based diet.

Veganism is more of a way of life and a philosophy than a diet. A vegan does not eat anything that is animal based, including eggs, dairy, and honey
 
The Raw Food Diet, or Raw Foodism, involves consuming foods and drinks which are not processed, are completely plant-based, and ideally organic.
Raw foodists generally say that at least three-quarters of your food intake should consist of uncooked food. A significant number of raw foodists are also vegans - they do not eat or drink anything which is animal based.
There are four main types of raw foodists: raw vegetarians, raw vegans, raw omnivores, and raw carnivores.

WFPB-Whole Foods- Plant Based. Meat, eggs, etc. to be avoided.  Lots of LDS people are into this one and feel it's adhering to WOW.

Macrobiotic- a diet in which processed food is avoided.  Common components include grains, beans and vegetables.

Paleo- a diet based on the types of foods presumed to have been eaten by early humans, consisting chiefly of meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit, and excluding dairy or grain products and processed food.


  • The above I copied off the internet.  I wish I'd written all of them down when I originally researched types etc.  Three of the most unusual were  --1) don't eat eggs because it causes the hen pain to lay the egg  2) likewise it hurts the cow to be milked so don't drink the milk  3) also there was one about pulling up a plant and exposing the roots, it was murder.  you don't eat anything underground.  only harvest on top of soil.  Each of these three had a specific name for it's adherents.
All of these, plus many more that I did not mention, end up being very complicated with laws/rules to adhere to just like a game with fine print instructions.  The WOW, supposedly doable for the weakest of the weak, is very simple.  Grains, some meat, fruits, veggies...things growing.  At least that is what I think it says!

The children sing in Primary about it.  I can even sing about eating meat if, as a congregation, we sing Hymn #307 ...and they eat but a very little meat...

I have been more into the Proscription aspects.  The do nots...coffee, tea, liquor, drugs etc.  I'm 100% on the do nots but the do's?  The Prescription details?  Obviously I've not figured out how to simplify that part to where it's just natural as a habit.  A way of life.

My relationship with food is described in part by the Apostle Paul ....  
Romans 7: 19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 

My curiosity, about the take of a lot of saints and a lot of folks in the world that grain is bad, as a steady part of one's diet and meat is double bad and wondering... are people serious??  They really believe the WOW is no longer valid?


So I read a lot of books and studies and especially enjoyed one by Dan Buettner-- Thrive: Finding Happiness the Blue Zones WayDan had wondered where and what caused people to live the longest healthiest lives.  Finding them on a wall map and circling around them with a blue marker, he ended up calling it The Blue Zone.  he studied Japan, Costa Rica, Italy and Greece PLUS Loma Linda CA!  huh?  oh, I get it!  Headquarters of the Seventh Day Adventists.  Vegetarians and no meat eaters.  An entire lifestyle lived by the citizens of that city.  I was primarily looking for folks that eat grain/starch and all of these areas had those carb foods, in one form or another, grains/beans, as a staple.  even white rice!  Seemed a shame that SLC wasn't in the Blue Zone but it did not qualify.  I wondered why and the next time I put on my favorite red lipstick and caught a glimpse of my roundness...I wondered no more!  Lots of Mormons don't live their own health code (me the pot calling the kettle black!)

One reviewer said the conclusion of both Blue Zone books was: 
A diet that’s rich in mostly plant-based foods and limits meat consumption appears to be one of the keys to longevity. 

That does have a WOW factor.  don't you think so?

My favorite book was a real simple book that covered all sorts of subjects.  Not saying I embrace the no meat concept by this very nice LDS author but she immediately explained to me the concept of why and how grain works. Discovering the Word of Wisdom by Jane Birch.  She is on FB and she is releasing a film or segments of some LDS people she has interviewed. I learned in Chapter 4 of her book about a "starch-based diet".

I then read a lot of other studies about "starch resistant" foods and their worth in health and weight loss.  (No.  I have not put it to the test.  well, not yet anyhow!)


*******************************

I copied this and now can't remember who said it! Not sure if these four paragraphs are connected or not.  I really saved a lot of info but will share these.  They listed a lot of other benefits but I thought this was interesting... 

Potatoes get a bad rap as little more than a waist-thickening waste of calories. But amazing new research puts spuds squarely at the center of the latest weight loss buzz, along with other unfairly maligned carbs such as corn and rice. The reason: All these foods contain resistant starch, a unique kind of fiber you'll be hearing a lot more about. In fact, experts agree that it's one of the most exciting nutrition breakthroughs they've seen in years. "Resistant starch has the potential to become the next hot nutrition trend," says Leslie Bonci, RD, author of the American Dietetic Association's Guide to Better Digestion. Indeed, more than 160 studies have examined this little known nutrient's remarkable health and weight loss benefits.


RESISTANT STARCH: THE NEW POWER NUTRIENT
Although this may be the first you've heard of resistant starch, it's likely been a part of your diet most of your life. Resistant starch is a type of dietary fiber naturally found in many carbohydrate-rich foods such as potatoes, grains, and beans, particularly when these foods are cooled. It gets its name because it "resists" digestion in the body, and though this is true of many types of fiber, what makes resistant starch so special is the powerful impact it has on weight loss and overall health. As a dieter's tool it can't be beat: Not only does it increase your body's ability to burn fat, but it also fills you up and reduces overall hunger. Its health benefits are truly impressive as well. Studies show it improves blood sugar control, boosts immunity, and may even reduce your cancer risk.



Right now, there is no specific target for resistant starch intake. But preliminary data shows that the average American woman consumes about 4 g of resistant starch each day. Experts such as Gerbstadt believe the research is strong enough to advocate doubling that.
Adding just 1/2 to 1 cup of cooled resistant starch-rich food per day can do the trick. See "6 Best Fat-Burning Foods" for ideas, and follow this advice to maximize your intake.

Keep it cool In cooked starchy foods, resistant starch is created during cooling. Cooking triggers starch to absorb water and swell, and as it slowly cools, portions of the starch become crystallized into the form that resists digestion. Cooling either at room temperature or in the refrigerator will raise resistant starch levels. Just don't reheat. That breaks up the crystals, causing resistant starch levels to plummet.

Sounds strange?   Well, I read about other ways of eating that were absolutely weird!  well, to me they were.  Not that it counts for a huge deal but really...isn't this interesting?  People supporting grain as a healthy food to eat!!
*************************
 I felt like the things I studied made me realize that the WOW could very well be correct and society could very well be incorrect.  Even some Saints could be off base faulting the inclusion of grain and mentioning meat.  Hmmmm.  Very interesting to think that the Lord meant exactly what He said.

As I said at the get go...the WOW-- its's either true or not.  All verses are doctrinally sound or its false doctrine.  IF it's false then surely at this October conference, the second big event, after sustaining 2 new Apostles, will be removal of several bits of the Doctrine and Covenants.  Beginning of course with the 89th Section and then parts of the 59th Section and ditto for parts of the 49th Section and that includes the vs. description of 17-21 eating of meat is approved.

another big IF.  IF all this talk of grain is so bad for us...what about suggested food storage?  what about Bishops Storehouses?  wheat is the suggested base for food storage...if you can't/don't/won't eat wheat then what will you do?  somewhere I read that storing wheat and beans is sensible because of the shelf life and variety of uses BUT a person needs to eat it, at least some of the time, and not wait until it's time to open your first bag of wheat and then try it under need for food storage.  Oh, my...would storehouses be closed? as the bulk of what they have are wheat, rice, beans!

Well well well!  I am not declaring any sort of declaration that I am now going to eat spuds, cold grain, and bits of meat occasionally and loads of veggies/ fruit.  I am also not declaring that eggs are an abomination as is butter.  

I will say that there are as many choices and as much confusion about the meaning of the WOW as there was at the time of Joseph Smith with the clamoring Churches all declaring their truths and preaching their doctrinal programs.  Never has there been more confusion on the care and keeping of the human body than right now.  Even with Prophets and even with revelation we, the Saints, quibble and quarrel and fuss over what does the WOW really mean.

For me...I want to say it's true...grain and all, even sensible amounts of meat.  Now in October General Conference IF this is declared out of date, I will shift gears and move ahead.  In the meantime I will live it the best I can and we will just see what happens.

Can you believe I still have more that I want to say????!!! but I'll spare you the rest.  well, until tomorrow.

Do I have the courage to post this?  If you read it I did!

 








No comments: