Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Plan B

Change of plans.  I'm home.  Didn't just come home.  I never left home!  Concerned about a side effect of a new Rx for our son so it was decided to cancel the planned go see sister trip.  I was completely packed and ready and had gone to Jones Farms and bought melons and peaches and apples (did you taste the Envy from New Zealand??  Try one next time you go there!).  I had other things also to bring but it just didn't happen.

It just didn't feel right to go.  Strangely enough my sister felt the same way.  I was needed somewhat here but nothing major.  In my life I have learned that I don't need to understand full details of feelings but I just need to do as I feel prompted in things like this.

The fruit will go to our Grandson's family so it will be used and enjoyed.

Do abrupt change of plans bother you?  I'm not one that it usually does.  It's just the flow of life to me and it all comes out in the wash.  Sometimes it's so disappointing but this trip cancellation doesn't mean I won't go later.  Just not right now. 

Of course I'm all hyper about the upcoming General Conference...now that would be very heartbreaking to me if I missed the weekend of all that excitement.  Today I was thinking about the freedom that is mine in the life I lead.  I thought about daily deciding what I will do or want to do and I can shift and change or cancel plans or read or go to a play or whatever enters my mind.  Those General Authorities!!  The First Presidency and The 12 Apostles no longer have that freedom.

Their lives are mapped out as to meetings and travel and airports (with no time for recouping from jet-lag).  Many times...leave the tarmac and head right to venue.  Again...I know I say it over and over but really ...for me...it's what they were willing to give up that has let me know, as the foundation of my testimony of living apostles, that this is real and true and is the restored Gospel and they are true Apostles.

It just seems so amazing to me that someone would, without hardly any warning, willingly turn their back on every thing they had worked for and dreamed of and were enjoying....  Enjoying where they live and how they live and their career.  To leave wealth and in some cases reputations of admiration and fame, of sorts, in some circles.  To leave the enjoyment they have worked for and step away and put themselves out there to be criticized and faulted for stating/defending their religious belief.  For stating their feelings about Jesus Christ.  Learned individuals that will not be lecturing/teaching/demonstrating in their chosen fields of expertise.  From the day of that call, until that last mortal breath, they will speak of Jesus Christ!  They may use their life experience in sharing lessons they have learned and others have learned but always it will circle back to Jesus Christ and His Gospel.  They remind me of Nephi in 2 Nephi 26 when he's talking about the Nephite belief in Christ and he said...we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies... that power is felt when they speak.  (and bless their wives and their children.  all of their lives are changed by that calling.)

We are plowing through October 1972 General Conference.  there is something so powerful in actually seeing these men and hearing them.  This particular Conference is so interesting because Joseph Fielding Smith had died 3 months earlier and this General Conference is a Solemn Assembly.  The spirit just comes through the monitor.  They are so supportive of President Lee and express their testimonies.  This is also the conference that Bruce R. McConkie was sustained as an Apostle.

Do yourself a favor and listen to these four talks.  then teach your children so they are ready for October Conference.  These are 4 incredible amazing discourses.  President Lee's talk will just leave you stunned over the power of his talk!!!  Want a spiritual experience???  listen to these 4!!!! 

Spencer W. Kimball-  We Thank Thee, oh God, for a Prophet   here

Ezra Taft Benson-  Listen to a Prophet's Voice  here

N. Eldon Tanner-  The Priesthood and It's Presidency here

Harold B. Lee- Admonitions for the Priesthood of God    here

No comments: