Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Our Anniversary!!

We met in high school. We fell in love there.

Every year one of us says to the other...can you believe how long we've been married??  Then we banter the same phrases....seems like yesterday...seems like forever...I can't remember when we weren't married- seems like a lifetime....yes.  it feels like a lifetime...it's been almost our entire lifetime ....Can you believe it???

Then we reminisce about all sorts of firsts in our lives and spontaneous exchanges of little vignettes including how much love we began our married life with.  His Rx are making him quite emotional and these last few days he has declared his undying love for me and his gratitude for me and his thankfulness that we got married and stayed married and are still on track.  Over and over.

We talked about how happy and content we were just being with each other.  Silly things like...working at the Anchorage airport and if we could arrange it with our schedules we'd meet upstairs and as people were hugging and kissing goodbye, we'd join in!  Anything to hug and kiss!

He made me feel breathless when he hugged me and kissed me!  It was bliss!  Rather than bonfire moments we now share tender embers that are equally so sweet and tender.

He was on a two step stool and I was balancing him as he reached over his head with a vacuum cleaner hose to pull off the layer of dust of a shelf close to ceiling...lurking in the shadows but dust laden nonetheless.  Why he felt secure with my hand on his back?...Why I felt secure in knowing if he lost balance I would catch him?.... are questions with no answer!  We only knew we had confidence in our team work.  The reality was two oldsters and a sidestep would be in quicksand.

Our lives have changed as our years have added up but matters of the heart never change.

We are two such different people and usually think opposite.  For instance...he decides to surprise me and hang some hooks for a mop and broom outside the back door.  I opened the door and it was on the left.  To me it should have been on the right side.  Maybe it's because he is left-handed?  left-brain thinker?  A male?  That is an important part of marriage... compromising and evaluating situations...figuring out if they are worthy of fussing about.  Is any fuss ever worth the energy spent and the collateral damage ensued?  Not really.

The comfort of living a long time with my honey is indescribable.  There is no pretense.  We really know each other.  And no one cares about us more than we care about each other.

Thank heavens for the Gospel!  and Temples!  and Sealings!  this has been our rock and kept us trudging along holding hands and ever trying to make our marriage last forever!

58 years!!!!  That is a lot of living with the same person!!!  The most handsome man on the planet!  Can't get my photo deal to work but just take my word for it!







No comments: