Thursday, September 10, 2015

Giving/Receiving

We are almost finished with watching all of 1972 General Conference.  At some point during each talk I get that feeling of confirmation that what I've just heard is true.  Always at the end when they share their testimony that feeling is there.  Love it!!

Today I was thinking that I love that feeling for 2 reasons...1) it lets me know that I just heard pure truth and 2) it lets me know that I'm living decent enough to have the Holy Ghost whisper to me.  Usually I'm faulting myself and explaining away to myself that I need to be/do better.  Lately I've been feeling that I'm on the right track and I just need to forge ahead and watch for those indicators that nudge me forward.  I've been studying my Patriarchal blessing and have found excitement and anticipation for my future.  Even at my age of senior-hood...I feel excitement for the future!  Sublime thought!!


**********************

Home; Video; Audio; Images; Social; Ruth Gleaning in the Fields (Ruth and Naomi). Ruth Gleaning in the Fields (Ruth and ...
fuzzy picture of Gleaners.
One of the recent talks we heard was by President Romney.  He gave such a great talk about caring for the poor and needy.  I thought you'd enjoy it as a FHE.  Such a great story from Leviticus.  It could easily be acted out or drawn out or use that famous picture of Ruth gleaning and tell her story.  We have a picture of gleaners in our RS room.  I also liked how he referred to ....The operation of these two principles, philanthropy by the giver and industry by the receiver... don't you like the use of those words?  Each has to work.  Read or listen to the full talk by President Romney Oct. 1972  here

To implement his instructions to care for the poor and the needy, the Lord has in all dispensations given specific programs. To ancient Israel, he gave this very simple procedure:
“… when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest.
“And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger. …” (Lev. 19:9–10.)
Simple as was this program, it was nevertheless founded upon the two basic principles of action operative in all inspired welfare programs, namely: (1) those who have are to give, and (2) those who receive are to work.

No comments: