Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sentimental me...

I've been so tender hearted today about my family.  I love my adult children and I love their spouses and I adore my grandchildren.  Today I was looking at this picture and my heart just welled with love.  This is my David.  He has never been smart-alecky or unkind to me in his life.  He has loved me unconditionally and I have never doubted that.

I was in Alaska when he was born in Washington.  I got the call, got a ticket and flew to Seattle.  A social worker took me to the Social Service office where he was.  It was surreal.  In a soft blue room was a white bassinet and I shakingly peeked into it and saw my newborn little son.  He opened his eyes and I felt enveloped in that stare.

There would be a lot of life lessons for he and I.  As you age you sometimes wish you could have a do-over in parenting.  I'm that way.  Perfect hindsight.  But this boy just hung in there with me as I worked through painful things, well, painful to me.  I was not the perfect adoptive Mother in sharing him with Birth people even though he was 22 years old!   It was a time he needed support and yet he supported me.  He would say things like...."Mom, you always taught me to not hate.  To love unconditionally.  That is what you taught me."  Eventually I was able to practice what I'd been preaching.  Thanks to him.

He has to be the most wonderful Father ever to his children.  That's Sam and Grace.  His beautiful wife, Jennifer.   In pictures Sam and Grace don't ever smile as a pose.  They are smiling because they are happy to the core.

I could write so much about this adventuresome boy of mine but all I can think of right now is how thankful I am for my children and today for some reason David has been in my heart.

Mother's love never fades even if her babies are all grown up. 

Enjoy your children while they all live under the same roof.  It's the best time memory!!!


No comments: