Friday, November 29, 2013

Changing things around....

Thanksgiving...a wonderful time with Kipper- sharing the day and our meal.  Saying a Happy Thanksgiving to our other children.  Leaving a message for our Grandson and his family.  Thinking of our Grandson on his Mission.  Hoping people welcomed him and he felt the love we are sending his way, through good thoughts and prayers.

Tonight I sit here and realize again that things have changed around here.  You can desire for things to stay the same in life.  Especially when it's been a familiar pattern for what seems a lifetime.  sometimes, most especially, on those celebrations of special events like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

You can even have it in your mind- exactly what needs to be done to accomplish what has been done over and over in the past.  Even if it be decorations or food.

Today I realized that we will not be cooking holiday meals on the day of celebration.  It's just to much.  Terry ran totally out of steam and I created the mess of the century, by using every pot and pan, at least it seemed so, to fill out the meal.  The meal ended up delish but really, it was just to much work.

Does that make me dreadful to say that?  Is that un-American?  have I thrown family traditions under the bus?  do I have a heart of stone?  saying I don't want to cook like that?

Now note...I didn't say I didn't want a meal with it's celebratory familiarity.  I just said it was to much work!  On the day of  the meal  (like someone around here loves to do.  not me.)

So change is in the air.  Now I'm all for change.  change to me means growth.  progress.  For My Hubby?...he doesn't like change.  It's an unpleasant adjustment.  Once he settles in then he is fine and rolls with it. Sometimes though you gotta do what you gotta do. Even if it's a change that feels drastic.  And we need to change some things around here.

We will do all the cooking/prep in advance to where the meal just sort of seems to magically appear!!  Now if I figure that out, then I'll sell the secret!  For a couple of years I've wanted to cook the turkey in advance but my traditionalist wants it cooked day of.  there are lots of things that can be done in advance!  what?  well, I can't rattle off a list but I'm sure there are lots of shortcuts, do-aheads, etc. that will make things smooth, simple and at least appear to be easy because it's not done day of!

Here is what we are looking forward to within the next 4 weeks.  Our Grandson and his family will be here in two weeks and we will celebrate Christmas with them (we are looking forward to having children with us!!)  and then a week or so later, our son and his family will come and we will have another Christmas.

We want the Christmas things up!  We want to get ready for enjoying and celebrating time together.

Depending on what gets done around here, I may blog and then again, I may not.

So I may be sporadic or I may stop.  Not quit.  just stop.  put on the brakes. I know when I follow a blog and they say they are going to do it at such and such a rate...that I don't like it when they suddenly stop posting.

I appreciate you reading my blog.  You are special to me. 

Wish me luck!  better yet...give me energy!!!

What a great Thanksgiving we had!!

No comments: