Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Daily dose does wonders!!!!

There wasn't time to reach all of the people that I thought of but what a fun day to touch base with some of my former seminary students or those that I was involved in their youthful days in the Church.  I got to thinking and wondering, why I felt a pull to those former Seminary students and then it dawned on me, actually a no-brainer....when you are with someone each morning of each school day, sometimes for years (or even just one year), talking about/learning about the Gospel/Savior--you will definitely have a connection that you don't have with others.

I contacted several today.  A young man that was in the first class I taught, has just been called to team teach early morning Seminary with his wife!  He was a fantastic young man and I know he will be awesome as a teacher.  We had fun sharing a few memories.  He pulled a lot of innocent pranks that were always terrifying me.  Nothing is darker than early hours in Alaska, stepping into a darkened Church and thinking you are alone.  There was more than one time I shrieked from he and his sidekicks shenanigans.  He was spirit filled though and loved learning about the Gospel.

One fellow told me he had recently found an old script from a Roadshow.  We used to go big time on Roadshows and also Scripture chase contests.  We reminisced about those fun times.

I enjoyed hearing from a girl, okay, a woman, but to me she's a girl about our Ward drama pursuits.

And it was fun to get a note from my friend Sam.  I was never his Seminary teacher but we did a melodrama and he was the lead.  he was excellent as the villain!

 Those plays and competitions are a thing of the past.  Our new building doesn't even have a stage.  No one does roadshows.  No one competes for a prize in Scripture chases (we even traveled to Anchorage!  and won!!)  Those days are over.

This is a new era.  a new age.  and there will be memories galore, just a different kind than we made.

One thing though, the constancy of the Gospel, will never change.

Seminary teachers will continue to strive to bring their students into the Scriptures and the Scriptures into their students.  They will do their best to help those fledgling testimonies grow.  They will all hope for students like Mindi, that caught the vision/ the importance, of daily scripture reading. She started that day in class and reads daily to this day!  Amazing!!  she was a Freshman when she started.   She and I have talked and laughed about ...wouldn't it be great to know exactly what was said that day....what the challenge was etc. etc.  I do remember promising her that she wouldn't make bad choices if she read each day.  Was that a quote from President Benson?  A scripture?

Whatever it was...the Spirit taught her and she absorbed it.

There are many reasons to read daily.  for me?  I lose the Spirit without that daily jolt of goodness.

This is one of my favorite quotes about the value of daily scripture reading.....

Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve explained:

“Scripture reading may … lead to current revelation on whatever [subject] the Lord wishes to communicate to the reader at that time. We do not overstate the point when we say that the scriptures can be a Urim and Thummim to assist each of us to receive personal revelation.

“Because we believe that scripture reading can help us receive revelation, we are encouraged to read the scriptures again and again. By this means, we obtain access to what our Heavenly Father would have us know and do in our personal lives today. That is one reason Latter-day Saints believe in daily scripture study” (“Scripture Reading and Revelation,” Ensign, Jan. 1995, 8).

No comments: