Friday, September 13, 2013

A little light on the subject!!!

Several months before the Church was even a certainty to be built in our neighborhood (years ago), I awoke in a sweat, terrified that our area was going to end up being the slum part of town.  I was truly in a cold sweat.  I felt it could either go one way or the other but it would not stay stagnant.  Something was going to happen.  I was heartsick as I didn't see any way that things would improve.  We used our limited energy in doing what we could to our old place (which we love in spite of age as we are aging also).

I prayed that we wouldn't end up in some crime infested area.  That there wouldn't be violence.  Or drug houses. That we wouldn't have cars in pieces or abandoned appliances or trash strewn around.

I hoped that people would be decent and nice.

In spite of a couple of rough patches, I have to admit that I'm startled and delighted with the happenings!  Our neighborhood main street runs from one road called Cheyne straight down to the next main road called Rosa.  It's the front entrance to some homes and also has side streets to houses.  Actually there aren't very many houses as a huge section is taken up by a school that has been remodeled/added on including playground.  Directly behind the school, across the street is our beautiful new Church and near it some lovely new homes.  Well, on the one side there are lovely new homes.  There is a fence running down the side of Church property and that starts where my concern is...a few duplex rentals, some older places that look a bit in need of care, a couple that really need work.  We are in that area but things have improved so much!  The school major improvements and the Church started the ball rolling.

A man bought one place and he is in process of remodeling.  going to put a new roof on and paint the outside.  Another one propped up his fence and that was an improvement.

I'd heard when the Church builds a new Chapel that the area improves and I have seen that happen right before my eyes!

The thing that has totally elevated our entire street from one end to the other is the fact that we got a new street!!!  It has been in process for several months and the crown jewel was put in place on Thursday....absolutely beautiful street lights!!  I mean gorgeous!  Very tall and black and vintage and amazing and they line the entire street.  I had been waiting to see what the lights would look like and these were way over the top.

I have enjoyed the months of hard work that the companies did.  I've enjoyed meeting some of the workers and watching them do their craft.  It was a joy!  I told one man that I knew he was employed and paid money to do it but that I enjoyed watching his crew and how well they worked together.  I never saw or heard them bicker.  They had pride in what they did.  There noise never bothered me and the only nuisance was when they compacted the gravel, readying for paving, and it about jarred my fillings out of my teeth!

I made that comment about how much I'd enjoy watching the process on the night they were going to work throughout the night with their big sodium lights keeping daylight for them.  He said that a lot of people get mad at them when they work at night.  I sat and watched them work for hours and kept wishing, as I had all along, that I had little boys (or big boys) that would enjoy all the equipment and busyness and yes, the noise.

Each crew had their own expertise and they would just zip in and do their thing and move out of the way while the next person did their part.  They all knew time was crucial and they hustled.  One woman that drove the water truck and placed all the signs and cones out (sometimes I didn't understand her sign placement but it still worked out!) actually lives in Wenatchee and she stayed in a hotel during their 4 day work week.  I enjoyed visiting with her when she was waiting to move things onto the pickup.

When they put those lights up  it just took my breath away.  I teared up a bit, thinking of that prayer and concern and tears years ago,  and thought...I live on the most beautiful street in Zillah!  and I believe that all of the residences will follow suit.   

Sadly I can't post a picture like I wanted to because today my little camera, that I have enjoyed for years, has given up the fight!!  It's over!!  I have worn it out!!

As I watched these months of work and the inspector endlessly checking things and the city folks doing their trust but verify peeks, I thought of the workings of the Church.  The check and balance system.  The return and report method.

How much effort it takes to create a Ward!  a real working Ward.  The more people willing to serve and step up to the plate then the nicer, fuller, better program is offered.  If everyone just does their part, their assignment/calling, and with confidence/trust let others do the same, then a Ward can be a great experience.  I've been in wonderful Wards.  Including now.

Wait until you see the street!!!!!

No comments: